gear oil

JC3569

What do u guys recommend for gear oil for the rear end.?(STOCK REAR END).just did axle seals and new ta cover.
thanx for the input.

x2 with a bottle of friction modifier.........

Why would someone want to add a friction modifer that will allow more slip in a posi unit? :confused:

GM used this in earlier years, but in the 80's it was not recommended for the factory limited slip rears.

Iv'e used this Red Line for years and years. LOTS of street miles and LOTS of 1/4 passes. Needs no modifier and have never had one problem. Works great!!

Attachments

• 2491.jpg
    2491.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 263
i'm a fan of Amsoil, straight out of the bottle with no additives.. used it in a few different cars with Eaton style posi units and never had a problem with chattering or slippage.

Why would someone want to add a friction modifer that will allow more slip in a posi unit? :confused:

GM used this in earlier years, but in the 80's it was not recommended for the factory limited slip rears.

I have heard that also Nick,what do you recommend for brand and weight.I also read you should not use synthetics in factory posi's:rolleyes:

Kevin

So this is not synthetic oil correct.on any of the oil brands everyone has talked about ?

From what I understand, It's not a friction modifier but an additive that keeps the gear oil from foaming, an anti-foam agent.

From what I understand, It's not a friction modifier but an additive that keeps the gear oil from foaming, an anti-foam agent.

it usually says it's a friction modifier right on the bottle.. it's purpose is to let the clutches slip a little smoother so it isn't jumpy around low speed turns like in a parking lot or something.

Straight off Eatons website....... they say NO to synthetics. Our factory units are clutch type posi units

Eaton Posi

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetics? Do I need a friction additive/modifier?

Eaton Posi units perform best when using GL4 (or better) mineral/petroleum based gear oil. A four ounce bottle of friction additive/modifier is also necessary for optimum performance.

Detroit Locker

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic? Do I need friction additive/modifier?
A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Detroit Locker units. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Friction additive/modifier is not required.

Truetrac

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic? Do I need friction additive/modifier?
A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Truetrac units. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Friction additive/modifier is not required.

What do u guys recommend for gear oil for the rear end.?(STOCK REAR END).just did axle seals and new ta cover.
thanx for the input.
This is what I've used for 22 years because it was the only thing that worked back then. I tried the additives and synthetics. This was the only thing that worked and still does. I think it was because my posi was so tight. My posi works every bit as good today as it did 22 years ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=LAK-32970&dds=1