GBODY PARTS mini-starter anyone?

JimP

Looking to change the starter on my 87 GN. While working on a shopping list I noticed that G-Body parts has a min-starter. It states for a 168 tooth flywheel, my fly wheel is stock are they 168 tooth? Anyone here using this particular starter. I see threads where others are going with LT1 or LT4 starters.

"Brand new Turbo Regal Ministarters. Shave 10lbs off just by installing this new unit. Includes new bolts.
With a 4.4 to 1 gear reduction it provides 50% more torque than stock starters and weighs less than 8.5 pounds. Fits 168 tooth flywheel only. Includes the proper shouldered starter bolts."
www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php...d=112&osCsid=0527b8529a53ed2ac0d219e4a7c6aa25

Any thoughts or experience with this starter.

I have a mini-starter I purchased from the other site back in 2007. It has not caused me any problems whatsoever.

I don't know if this is the same one - but I'm guessing it is.

I have heard of some of them having plastic gears which are prone to fail. Which mini starters are the good ones?

I have a mini-starter I purchased from the other site back in 2007. It has not caused me any problems whatsoever.

I don't know if this is the same one - but I'm guessing it is.

The same ones we carry are the ones Big Al's mini starters use to carry back in 05. We took it over when he got out of it. We have sold a lot of them.

looks like the regular mass produced PM (permanent magnet) starter that GM put on millions of cars in the 90's.