Gbody grand Prix dash swap

84buickregal

So over the winter to top off my regal build i will be installing a gbody grand prix dash. I was curious how many ppl have done this and like it? Also what are some affordable/budget gauges i could go with? I'm thinking, Tach, speedo, boost, oil press and Temp? I believe electrical gauges are the ones i want, correct?

I went the other way and put a GN dash in my El Camino, but I would imagine it would be a similar installation. One thing I found was that the A/C ducting on the passenger side had to change, my original wouldnt mate to the Regal dash. Got one from gbodyparts. Not too hard but lots of details that shouldn't be overlooked.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• dash and column installed 001.jpg
    dash and column installed 001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 743
  • dash and column installed 002.jpg
    dash and column installed 002.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 693
thanks everyone for the reply. Grand prixs are cool but i already have the regal. I like the GP dash cause i can run real guages instead of just relying on stupid idiot lights. So no advice for the guages? autometer, summit brand ect?

personally i think the GP dash is ugly. have you considered the cutlass dash? modding the regal dash? usings gauge pods?

yeah im looking at the cutlass dash and it doest look like anything special, to me. The Gp dash has alot of guage provisions, so it more about functionality

some of those holes in the GP dash are vents. i had a boneville, same dash as the gp...hated it. the cutlass dash was available with a factory gauge cluster.

thanks everyone for the reply. Grand prixs are cool but i already have the regal. I like the GP dash cause i can run real guages instead of just relying on stupid idiot lights. So no advice for the guages? autometer, summit brand ect?

It's true that Grand Prix dashes have several round pods in which it should be much easier to install some aftermarket gauges than into a Regal dash! :wink:

Good luck,

Claude. :)

P.S:Oh yeah...on which gauges to buy, it's a matter of personal preference, but I have four Auto Meter gauges in my car and couldn't be happier with them...:wink:

IMO the GP dash has no real stlye to it. Kind of overwheliming if you put guages in every singles spot avalible.

My .02 cents:rolleyes:

Wow, GP dash sure does have lots of possible gauge locations. I saw one in an El Camino as well. The thing is you have to cut stuff up which could could result in structural failue over time. Could you utilize the GP gauges? I would think that you would gave to have the dash harness to do that.

I would just use the GP gauges if you want a stock look or some Autometers-they are nice gauges.

I am confused by some of the people not liking the GP dash and cluster. I'm of the opinion that it is the nicest BY FAR interior setup of the 4 g-bodies. The classic round gauges and the matching round AC/heat ducts are well, classic. Our dashes suck and the Monte and Cutlass are similiar, but nicer, in that they are just a big pod with gauges stuck in them. What is not to like about the GP dash/gauges? I believe it is a great setup and please post pics when you are finished.