Gasoline Solution!

JASON

THE ORIGANL FREAKZILLA
GASOLINE SOLUTION!
>We CAN buy gasoline that's not from Middle East. Why didn't George W. think of this? Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should
>return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01):
>
>Shell............................205,742,000 barrels
>Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrels
>Exxon /Mobil................130,082,000 barrels
>Marathon/Speedway...117,740,000 barrels
>Amoco.........................62,231,000 barrels
>
>If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount
>to over $18
>BILLION!
>
>Here are some large companies that do not import
>Middle Eastern oil:
>Citgo....................0 barrels
>Sunoco............. ..0 barrels
>Conoco............. ..0 barrels
>Sinclair............... 0 barrels
>BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels
>Hess...................0 barrels

The only problem is all the gas companies you mention that don't import the oil have no stations near me EXCEPT the Sunoco.

Sorry to say Sunoco maybe good enough for the GN
BUT
it is too good & expensive for my daily driver :(

sunoco is ALL i use in the gn. i'll put anything in the iroc that gets 5 mpg.

That's what I was thinking. With both the Venezuelan and Nigerian oil workers striking now, some oil companies may have had to look elsewhere.

I got an e-mail a while back with this info. From what I heard, the statistics are available somewhere on the Department of Energy website.

Steve

This has been an Urban Legend for a few years now

From Urban Legends:

Sure, there are plenty of credulous folks quick to click their Forward buttons every time a worthy-sounding cause or pet peeve is mentioned in an email, but that doesn't mean they'll follow through with action, and action is of the essence (if we're to take these messages seriously). Previous experience (e.g., with the much-touted "Gas Out" chain letters of 1999, 2000 and 2001) has shown that even when such chain letters circulate so widely as to win national media attention, their real-world effectiveness is negligible.

2. It's mistargeted
The effort misses the mark in two ways:

It wrongly assumes that all oil-producing countries in the Middle East fund or support terrorism.

It wrongly assumes that simply avoiding the purchase of certain brands of gasoline listed above will reliably keep consumers' money out of the hands of Middle Eastern oil producers.
3. The facts and figures are simply wrong
The most critical inaccuracy is this: Of the several companies lauded in these messages for supposedly not importing Middle East oil, only two — Sinclair and Sunoco — actually belong on that list according to DOE statistics. All the other companies do, in fact, refine varying amounts of petroleum imported from the Gulf region.