Gas tank straps

dozer

Just wondering if there is an easy way to get tank straps up in place by myself. Just replaced the gas tank with a new one, and not having any luck with the straps.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Chris

OOOOH,

You are bringing back bad memories...not that bad really.

It did howver take two of us. if I remember right, there is a "hinged side" and a bolt down side on the straps.

Thread the bolt in just enough to hold the straps, slip in the tank, and push up and try to work in the bolt on the hinge side. It was a pain to do.

I Think we also had a board on a floor jack to help push the tank up.

HTH

Connect the straps to the bumper side first...horizontal bolt and nut. Then lay under tank and lift up as you scoot under the car. Install the vertical capscrews at the forward end of the straps. I spent 20 minutes trying to get the forward end capscrew threads started once and then realized I had the spacers in the wrong location...pretty sure they go between the strap and the car body.

HTH, Bob

Thanks. I was just laying under the car and noticed that the front bolts weren't backed out. Loosened them up and with a little help from a transmission jack the tank went right in. Had to pry the straps a bit at the back, but got the bolts in no problem. Thank god that is over with. Hope the pump doesn't go south now. LOL :D

You guys use jacks;) I just find an unsuspecting helper to hold it up while I tighten the bolts:biggrin: . So who wants to come help me do some work on RUSTY????