Gas tank info

Madmax69

Guys, just wanted to share some experience learned the hard way. :(

I was looking for a gas tank to replace my rusted original. Everyone appeared to point towards the Spectra tank. I didn't like that one because of the stamping on the bottom that shows it's obviously been replaced. I decided to buy the Goodmark tank which i've used before on a GS car and it was an exact match.

Ordered it from a sponsoring vendor, was shipped fast and trouble free. Paid roughly $150 more than I could have gotten the Spectra for. When it showed up, it's a Spectra. Did some more research after the fact, and it seems Spectra makes the tanks for Goodmark.

Lesson learned, Goodmark=Spectra. Save the $$ and order the Spectra one.

I got my tank from glen @ nos4gn and yes it was a little tricky putting gas in.

Do you have trouble filling the tank?

I had that problem ONE time after the install.. Only once, :confused: I done nothing different. Just over time kept filling it up and never had the problem since??
I dunno maybe it had to burp or something like a radiator would when filling on some cars. But all is well for me. I just have to keep it over 1/4 tank for romping. I still say its a great alternative.

I gotta barely trickle the gas in. If it's hot out I'm sweatin my ass off just to put 10 bucks in the tank. It seems like I'm the only one that has a major problem with filling it. If I would have known it was going to be a pain in the ass I would have just kept the n/a tank in it.

I gotta barely trickle the gas in. If it's hot out I'm sweatin my ass off just to put 10 bucks in the tank. It seems like I'm the only one that has a major problem with filling it. If I would have known it was going to be a pain in the ass I would have just kept the n/a tank in it.

Look at the bright side, with gas approaching $4 a gallon you won't have to sweat as long to put that $10 in.

Look at the bright side, with gas approaching $4 a gallon you won't have to sweat as long to put that $10 in.

3.25 here in south texas :rolleyes: It's kinda funny tho, when it was this price with BUsH complaining like crazy all over news, people, now with this new guy nothing.....hmmm

Does it do that no matter what gas station you go to?? I have the Spectra tank and not having any problems filling it BUT some stations I might have to move the nozzle position around in the filler tube to get it to take the gas at a high rate.

It will also help keep me from putting unnecessary miles on the truck too:biggrin:
3.25 here in south texas :rolleyes: It's kinda funny tho, when it was this price with BUsH complaining like crazy all over news, people, now with this new guy nothing.....hmmm
I think that reason is because a lot of us still have this stuff called snow and with it not being so warm out have no reason to go anywhere, thus less driving. Give it a few months, I'm sure there will lots of complaining when it gets near 4 bucks again.
Does it do that no matter what gas station you go to?? I have the Spectra tank and not having any problems filling it BUT some stations I might have to move the nozzle position around in the filler tube to get it to take the gas at a high rate.

I've always went to the same gas station since it's two blocks away from me. I'll have to try a different gas statio sometime but I don't think that's the problem but who knows.

How long has Spectra been making tanks? I always had trouble filling the tank in my GN and it has the same tank as when I bought it back in '98. i always thought it was original. :confused:

People resist and complain about change until it becomes the norm. People don't complain because $4 gas has already been seen and is not unexpected again. When people get used to paying, they complain much less. :)

Yes thats exactly what was happening the first time or two. I'd gas it , and it foams or bubbled back out the neck on the pavement. You would have thought I was trying to save gold coins dropping, I eased into it and it took it sllooowwly.

The other time my gas gauge was saying 3/4 tank but the filler neck was saying FULL.

After a couple of times of this it straightened itself out for me it seems but then again those were around the summer months I think. When it gets hot again (won't be long here) I'll post up or email you if it does it again. But like I say I done nothing different just over time I can now go full throttle. I've filled up around 4 times since then. But I've been a slow pumper anyway once I believe its getting to the top. I try a few different stations now, Chevron/Amoco/Shell. Those are about it.

I can't speak to the Regal tank, but I'm on an El Camino board where this same issue was discussed. I believe it's inherent in the Spectre design throughout their product line. The vent tube out of the filler neck is too small, and too short too. Anyway, one guy took this approach. Brazed a couple of nipples into the tank and used some fuel line to vent the tank. Problem solved.

Attachments

• filler neck vent 1.jpg
    filler neck vent 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 287
  • tankhose.jpg
    tankhose.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 285
I got a tank the other day from 1AAUTO and it was NOT a Spectra tank.
It was made in Taiwan. But it was better than the darn Spectra tank I installed in my T a few years back. It was baffled, came painted, no stamping on the bottom, fit right in, can't say I had any filling issues. cost $131 shipped.