gas gauge repair

kneeshurt

gas gauge in gn does not work only goes to half when full sometimes tapping on it helps car has new sending unit. anyone have any tips or know of any articles to fix. thanks

gas gauge in gn does not work only goes to half when full sometimes tapping on it helps car has new sending unit. anyone have any tips or know of any articles to fix. thanks

Sounds like mine. Also wierd stuff is happening to the gauge in my Chrysler Sebring. Ordered an electrical part that attaches to the fuel pump hanger, but I don't think our Buicks have one of those.

When i'd fill my tank the gauge would read full then as gas was used it worked normally until it got just before half a tank then it would shoot up way past full. Everytime. I changed the sending until and still the same. Never did figure it out.

D

Ive read somewhere awhile back how to fix this as everyone knows older chevys have this problem also. Its in the wires or a resistor cant remember

It's been many years since I dove into fixing mine, so forgive me for the lack of detail. If memory serves, the crux of the problem seems to be "contact corrosion" on the gauge its self.
The gauge plugs into the dash and has a couple screws that hold it in place. It has a couple of male pins, and they can build up a very very thin layer of corrsion that affect circuit resistance, and causes erroneous gauge readings.
I pulled the gauge and tried cleaning the contacts with emory or someting similar. It seemed to help somewhat.

It's been many years since I dove into fixing mine, so forgive me for the lack of detail. If memory serves, the crux of the problem seems to be "contact corrosion" on the gauge its self.
The gauge plugs into the dash and has a couple screws that hold it in place. It has a couple of male pins, and they can build up a very very thin layer of corrsion that affect circuit resistance, and causes erroneous gauge readings.
I pulled the gauge and tried cleaning the contacts with emory or someting similar. It seemed to help somewhat.
I've always suspected a gauge problem, because if I hit the dash with my right hand above the radio, the gauge will respond when it wants to. Maybe we'll get the low down at Casper's open house in a couple weeks.

I'd make sure connector C1 the vertical big one is fully inserted and and has good contact into the dash cluster.

If the gas gauge acts up it can be two things gas gauge in the cluster itself or sending unit.I have changed sending unit and didn't fix the problem until i changed the gauge in the cluster and worked ,good luck.

Cleaning the contacts on the gauge helped mine also - wouldn't make it much over 3/4 on a full tank. You can fill the tank and use an ohm meter and check for a reading of about 90 OHMs, if it is lower than that, you sending unit in the tank can use some cleaning.

Sending unit repair

I actually had the sending unit in my hand with it plugged up. I manually moved the float up and down and watched the gauge in my car correspond perfectly. Then I reinstalled a new fuel pump, returned the sending unit to the tank, and I still have the same issue. The gas gauge continues to register full when tank is full and the gauge never registers below a half tank, even when the tank is empty. So, I plan try again later. That is unless you guys have any other/better ideas???

I actually had the sending unit in my hand with it plugged up. I manually moved the float up and down and watched the gauge in my car correspond perfectly. Then I reinstalled a new fuel pump, returned the sending unit to the tank, and I still have the same issue. The gas gauge continues to register full when tank is full and the gauge never registers below a half tank, even when the tank is empty. So, I plan try again later. That is unless you guys have any other/better ideas???

It sounds like your float is hanging up on something in the tank. I have seen the plastic baffles break loose from the tank & slide around also.

It sounds like your float is hanging up on something in the tank. I have seen the plastic baffles break loose from the tank & slide around also.

X2 and then some , seen this more than id like too