G80 Posi Clutch Kit

joey316g

Too many cars.
Is it me or are these near impossible to find. Does anyone have any leads or connections on getting a set of clutches, steels and clips? I just rebuilt a complete 72 Vette posi for a friend and he says he has had his kit for years and cant remember where he picked it up. COuld it be that these are not available any longer? The 8.5 was a popular rear fro GM...wtf?:confused:

The only place I know that has them near me is Fort Worth Gear and Axle. Granted it's in Texas but they do have them.

i had the same problem... check randys ring and pinion.com they have it for $180

The only place I know that has them near me is Fort Worth Gear and Axle. Granted it's in Texas but they do have them.

i called them and they said they dont have them in stock or carry them..

i called them and they said they dont have them in stock or carry them..

Well I just bought a set from them last fall. Who did you tak to? There's one old guy that's kinda grumpy but he's the one that knows the parts better than any of the other guys.

From all the local vendors I deal with, this shortagehad been within the last year so they might not have it now.

Well I just bought a set from them last fall. Who did you tak to? There's one old guy that's kinda grumpy but he's the one that knows the parts better than any of the other guys.

Well that might be why lol I talked to a younger guy and he thought I had lost my mind

Well that might be why lol I talked to a younger guy and he thought I had lost my mind

I know who you talked to. Did you say G80 or did you tell him it was for a GM 8.5 with an Eaton posi? That may have been the problem.:)

HMMM??? I checked gbodyparts and they dont show it either. Give Brian and call and ask him, sure he has teh skinny on it.

I hate to say it but try asking for the GM 8.5" posi clutch pack. G80 is a GM designation but it may be confusing the parts guys, seriously.

I hate to say it but try asking for the GM 8.5" posi clutch pack. G80 is a GM designation but it may be confusing the parts guys, seriously.

yeah- don't even bring up the term "G80" in your conversation.. and it might work out better if you tell them you need a posi clutch kit for a 79 Z/28 instead of a GN or Regal with an 8.5- a lot of parts computers think g bodies only ever had a 7.5 in them..

that kit is for Eaton rears and the gm early 70s eaton that used the rounded tabbed clutches and the round metal clutch pak retainers
also used the plate style 4 spring preload pak but in their link they claim that the kit will work in our posi ,
i ran one of the early 2 series vette posi units for years in my 87gn and just went through rebuilding it , i picked up the kit cheaper from jegs

the 8.5 gn posi (same a the Fbody 2nd gen firebird/transam/camaro) is a corporate eaton style and uses square tabbed clutches and a z shaped preload spring ... the clutch service kit has been discontinued for several years now

heres pics of the early gm eaton carrier that uses those round tab clutches and metal pak clips shown in the link

the 8.5 gn posi (same a the Fbody 2nd gen firebird/transam/camaro) is a corporate eaton style and uses square tabbed clutches and a z shaped preload spring ... the clutch service kit has been discontinued for several years now

Randy's Ring & Pinion just confirmed this to be true.

My brother is going to start looking into what it will take to reproduce these, and being an automotive production engineer this shouldn't be too tough for him. He is curious whether he is just going to make them for us or if there is a proper market demand for the clutch pack kit. We are talking about spending a few hundred vs. $1000+ to keep both wheels spinning.

I know who you talked to. Did you say G80 or did you tell him it was for a GM 8.5 with an Eaton posi? That may have been the problem.:)

no i said GM 8.5 with an Eaton posi im not that far gone lol :rolleyes:

and pacecarta thanks for the info i figured it was the right part... sorry about that guys. looks lik i gotta send those back and continue the search

ttt...has anyone found a source for these yet? Mine are getting VERY week...please help!