Fusible link size

Fuseable links are different than traditional protection devices ...they are replaced by the same gauge ( in our T's application. On the fans is 10ga)....
Also I match the length too.Napa has a good selection.

Easiest and cheapest way to do it is remember that a fusable link is 2 guage sizes smaller than the primary wire. In other words, if the primary wire is 10 guage then the fusable link is 14 guage. If the primary is 12 guage then the link is 16 guage, ect.

I usually make my own with either crimped ends or if I really want it to be pretty then I solder it in and use heat shrink tubing over the joint.

Easiest and cheapest way to do it is remember that a fusable link is 2 guage sizes smaller than the primary wire. In other words, if the primary wire is 10 guage then the fusable link is 14 guage. If the primary is 12 guage then the link is 16 guage, ect.

I usually make my own with either crimped ends or if I really want it to be pretty then I solder it in and use heat shrink tubing over the joint.

.......so, I can make my own out of regular old copper wire that is 2 wire sizes smaller?

Wanna bet.:biggrin:[/QUOTE

Really? I thought fuseable links were made with a certain wire that would "burn" at a specific temp? Please educate us....im always willing to learn new tricks. ;-)

Really? I thought fuseable links were made with a certain wire that would "burn" at a specific temp? Please educate us....im always willing to learn new tricks. ;-)

Was taught this by an electronics tech Gary. It's one of those things that's in a bunch of automotive electronics books. It was one of those things like Ohms law and the old resister color codings that we had to remember.:) The thickness of the insulator is the only real difference.

Good info.thanks.have you had one of these fail to see the results for yourself?

The fusible link is basically standard stranded wire, with a special high temperature insulation that resists the heat during failure, in order to contain the arcing and burning that occurs when the link opens. The material differs from the standard wire insulation on the wire harness wiring. There are markings on fusible links that indicate the wire gage, along with the designation "Fusible Link" (makes it easy to spot).

Links are there to prevent dead short circuits, which would result in burned wiring within the harness. They contain the "fire". In fact, when a link fails, you can usually see slight indication outside of the insulation, not a major burnout.