Fun with rabies...

PCS74

Just got back from the doctor where I began a month long rabies vaccination for an animal bite I received late last week. I was attempting to rescue a medium sized dog from the middle of a major street during 5 o'clock traffic. The combination of me grabbing him and the cars rushing at us scared him and he rolled over and bit me. My hand just ended up in his mouth somehow and I received a small bite to my index finger. When I released the dog he fled so we began the rabies vaccination as a precautionary measure.

There are some interesting things I learned about rabies, and things everyone should know:

First, rabies is extremely hard to diagnose. Diagnosis typically happens just before death or well after death.

Second, the initial symptoms are headache, a general ill feeling, and increases nervous system sensitivity (touch, smell, feeling, etc.) which are very misleading because they are common.

Third, and the most important to realize. If you have not received treatment by the onset of these symptoms you are dead.

Fourth, the incubation period can be as short as six days, but two weeks to three months is most common.

Fifth, only the health department has the vaccine and the globulin, the hospital, your doctor etc. will have to get it from them. This takes time.

Sixth, many animals who have rabies show no signs. This is especially true of animals who are infected by bats (which happen to be this largest transmitter of rabies).

Seventh, Rabies is primarily transmitted by saliva and people can be infected through a wound as small as a scratch.

The best way to to reduce the risk of rabies when bitten is to wash any wound thoroughly with soap and warm water. Physically wash the wound out, if you have to get aggressive to clean the inside of the wound do it. You are attempting to wash away any and all traces. Antibiotics, first aid sprays, hydrogen peroxide, and the like are useless. Immediately after thoroughly cleaning the wound go to the emergency room.

Again, rabies has a 100% mortality rate so seek treatment for a bite from any animal immediately. No one day later, not a week later...the day of the bite. If you wait until symptoms appear you are dead.

So, I received about 12 shots (9cc's of globulin) in my left index finger, 1 shot (6cc's of globulin) in my left hip and 1 shot of vaccine in my right arm. I have 4 more injections over the next 4 weeks.

The upside is the whole process is basically painless and I will be virtually immune to rabies after this treatment. The downside is my finger looks horrible (it's way fatter than my big toe and is so full of globulin I can't move it), it's expensive, and I would rather be doing something else.

Chris S

I always thought that when you got rabies vaccinations/shot that they had to go through your stomach and it was very painful. Am I getting this confused with another treatment or it is maybe they got done putting all these people through the pain?

Well anyway, Im glad that yours wasnt painful and hope you feel better soon:D

I saw on TV that rabies is like one of the most lethal things you can get after onset of symptoms. You WILL die, and quite horribly..

However, there are always exceptions, and they said there were like four documented cases of people who survived in the last few hundred years. The most recent was a young girl who was playing with an injured bat(!!!) she found on the street while her mom was watching her... and got bitten. She came down with rabies, way too late for vaccination, and survived with a TON of specialized medical help. She can't walk or talk too well, and requires constant medical care, but she survived, and is expected to sorta recover.. She'll probably never be 100% but she survived, and is now in all of this medical literature.. She's famous!

So, since you got your shots, things are looking up for you now, as I don't think telling people you survived rabies is gonna make you a chick magnet at the bars! :)

Billy

Yes, it kind of sounds like my luck has been gotten bad lately. In reality I am a luckier person than anyone I have ever met.

I am currently 30yrs old and I have never lost a family member or friend I was close to. I am betting there are only a handful of people my age on this planet that can say this, if that. Two of my grandfathers have passed and one grandmother, but because of distance and age circumstances I did not have a strong emotional attachment to them. In addition there are numerous stupid things I have done or things that have happened to me which should have killed me, maimed me, hurt or killed someone I love etc., but everyone always come out fine. This will be the same.

My luck could be described as inconvenient at the absolute worst.

If I am not mistaken, the stomach shots you are referring to are the old vaccine that was produced using horse syrum. The newer vaccines are human based. The globulin is an anti-body jello that is placed around the wound to begin killing and slowing the spread of the virus, a so called passive defense. The vaccine is administered over a month long period, 5 shots, and is a so called active defense because it stimulates the body to produce it's own antibodies.

The actual chance that I have rabies would probably be a fraction of a percent as transmission through domesticated animals has all but been eliminated. However, due to the mortality rate they do not take any chances. A serious bacterial infection is a much larger possibility.

Is the girl you are referring to the one they placed in a clinical coma? If so it is an interesting new treatment.

Rabies travels in the nervous system, not the blood stream. Neurons firing in the nervous system guide the virus to the brain and throghout the body. Nervous system activity is a stimulus for the virus which promotes spread and reproduction. By putting a patient in a clinical coma they significantly reduce nervous system activity and can slow the spread of the virus. Sometimes the spread can be slowed enough to give the patients body enough time to assimilate the vaccine and start producing the required antibodies. In rare cases the patient will survive.

I already have a great lady, so the bar days are gone. She was looking mighty bite worthy last nite.....hmmmm. To bad it's hands off for a month.

Chris S