Fuel question

johnpbf

I hate to start another thread about fuel pumps/ relays but I did a search and looked about about 25 threads and didn't see anything related.

After sitting for a while, I turn the ignition on, the pump does not prime, I turn the key 3-4 times for about 4-5 seconds each and then it starts and runs fine. While searching on here I found out that my problem could possibly be a fuel pump relay so I picked one up, $12 at auto zone.

The weird thing is when I went to change it out I found black gritty grease all over the connector and wires, Could it be dielectric grease? I've used dielectric grease before and it didn't look like this.

Also, after changing the FP relay the FP is still not priming.

Thanks.

The grease is probably oem weather proofing material.
Jump the fp wire behind the alt, to the hot stud on the alt. Pump run? Check psi when doing that.

Hey john you might try checking the fuel pressure regulator as sometimes the rubber diaphragm inside the reg will leak and not allow prime. Pull the vacuum line and see if fuel comes out or it smells like fuel ,this should not happen as there shouldn't be fuel on vacuum side as this will cause hard starting and long cranking periods. Also as chuck said install pressure guage and turn on key and see if it primes as you might have leaky injectors or bad pump.

I put a Walboro pump in yesterday and when I took the old one out the inside of the tank was filthy, I also installed a new fuel filter. There was debris lodged in the sock on the bottom of the old pump, I wonder if that's what broke the old one. I can not believe the difference in performance now, it's night and day.