Fuel Pump

orion

I bought a new Fuel Pump from kirban performance and a hotwire kit., anyone have any experience with these? it says it runs 255 gph(LPH?), how much of an increase is this over a 304 walbro from ESP performance?

I ran my tank dry the other day, and drove it home after i got 10 gallons of gas in there, now it won't start! before, when it was dry, i'd get a little hint of it trying to start up. Now it just turns and turns, nothing else. I've heard a fuel pump can seize after running it dry, and i wanted to get a bigger fuel pump with a hotwire kit so i thought this would be a good time. Did i make the right choice?

PS...i just was looking through a summit racing catalog, how come other fuel pumps are talking about max flow at 18 psi? when ours run 70psi max?

no ideas? I bought a new fuel filter too...im changing that right now, where the hell is it? i Found the fuel vapor canister, but no idea where the filter is.

The fuel pumps with 20 psi or less are for carbureted engines, not for fuel injected. Injectors need at least 40 psi to give a good spray pattern. The fuel filter is tucked inside the frame rail, just behind the drivers seat. And I can't remember what the capacity of a Walbro 304 is, sorry.

I got the pump only from Kirban as well. It is a Walbro. Says right on the pump. Just doesn't say if its the 304 or the other pump walbro sells??

Do yourself a favor and buy a 5/8" flare nut wrench for changing the filter. The last thing you want to do is round off the nuts with an open end wrench. You might need to spray some penetrating oil on the connections if you are unsure when it was changed last.

If you do change your pump too, this might help you out.

http://www.jdmg.com/buick/tech/fuel_pump_install.html

ok got everything fixed...now another question

this information below is from kirbans website, i don't know the conversions but is 57 gph the same as 255 Lph? thats what kirban claims the pump i bought is capable of...

"
The stock pump is capable of putting out 36 gallons per hour at 70 psi.

This high-performance pump will put out 57 gallons per hour at 70 psi and will handle a high-10-second racecar. Another feature is that this pump draws less current than the stock pump, which means it won't tax your electrical system.
"