Fuel pump upgrade?

ls6monte

Just another G-Body-NOT!
I have an 85 Monte with an Ls6 Vette engine and i'm running a stock GN pump. I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that is adjusted from 47 psi for a stock GN pump to 62psi that the ls engine needs. The pump has been in the car for about 4 years now, but i'm having some problems running lean on the top end. I believ the stock pump is running out of pressure/volume on the top end. I want to upgrade it but I don't need anything radical. I have heard of using the 89 Turbo Trans Am's fuel pump but am not sure about that. I want to keep the stock in tank pump also. Any ideas of what I can do? Thanks
Ron

Check with racetronix, a vendor on here, they can hook u up.

Thanks
Bill

If you can turn down the fuel pressure and increase your injector duty cycle you will be able to squeeze a bit more out of the stock pump. That will require a re-tune.

Thanks! The ls engines require a mininum fuel pressure of 62 psi so I can't really turn down the pressure. I understand about the retune as I have to get it back to my friends shop anyways so he can make sure it's the pump or something else.

Stock GN pump was barely adequate for the cars back when they were new... asking one to push 60+ psi to support that LS6 is really asking for trouble. Racetronix or Ful Throttle can hook you up with a Walbro that'll install right in the stock location & flow plenty of fuel to support that V8.

I actually had a Walbro(I forgot which model) when I first put the engine in, and it was way too much pressure for the engine at the time. This was before I had an adjustable regulator installed. Thanks again!

I'll have to check out the Bosch pump and I really don't want to do an external pump. The fuel lines have already been upgraded. Thanks again!

I looked into the Bosch pumps and I think they are way more than I need. I'm only making 350 rwhp. I need an upgrade but don't want overkill. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I actually had a Walbro(I forgot which model) when I first put the engine in, and it was way too much pressure for the engine at the time. This was before I had an adjustable regulator installed. Thanks again!

You have answered your own question. Put a Walbro GSS340M back in. LS1 factory fuel pressure is 58PSI not 62. You don't have a jet pump so you can run any pressure you want as long as your tune is setup for it.

Thanks! Going to do just that this upcoming week!
I was told an LS6 was 58-62psi.

I put the walbro back in last night with a new sending unit and everything went smooth. Plenty of pressure with no problems at all with the adjustable regulator. The old pump was losing pressure which I believe was at least part of my problem. Thanks again for all the help everybody.