Fuel pump relay battery drain

Casey Jensen

I hot wired my 84 gn fuel pump. Since then, the relay drains the batery over time. When I un-hook the hot wire to the relay and re attach, i can hear the relay click which makes me think it is draining the battery. If I leave the hot wire from the battery to the relay un-hooked, the battery stays charged. Any ideas? Thanks for the info in advance.

Sounds like you have it hard wired directly to the battery when it should be hard wired to the ignition that way it's doesn't kick on til you turn the key one click forward.

Yea, I did to get max voltage to the pump. Didn't think the relay would drain the battery so fast. I will hook it to keyed power and try that. Thanks.

even better: wire it so the existing fuel pump wire closes the relay, that way if you're sitting with the key on (listening to the radio, for example), the pump won't be running constantly. it will turn on for 5 seconds like stock and prime the rail, then come back on after it's running-

Thanks for the info, I have a switch panel under the ashtray cover. Thought about using one of my unused swithches to power the pump. That way even if the key in in the ignition (unless you know what switch to turn on and where its at) no one else but me would get very far.