fuel pump question

trailinjake

I currently have Aeromotive A1000 in line external fuel pump. Last time out, car died while driving. Smacked the fuel pump once and it started up again. Drove it home (bout 25 miles) no issues. Have started it twice in garage (winter warm up) and no issues. Worried to get stuck and/or have pump die at WOT blast. I have a new Mallory 5110FI external high pressure pump new on shelf. The ratings are listed differently for each.

Aeromotive has 700 lbs/hour @13.5 volts @ 45 psi. Has 10 AN in and out fittings.
Mallory is 110 GPH free flow. 93 GPH @ 40 psi and 77 GPH @60 psi with 8AN in/out

Is there a formula to convert lbs/hour to GPH?

I do like the Aeromotive pump I have now. Super quiet and I have the inline filter assembly for it. Jegs carries it...$340.00. I'm sure the Mallory is going to be much louder and I will have to find a different location for it. Has anyone used a Mallory like this? Should i just continue using the Aeromotive until it dies? Any opinions would be appreciated...

Gas weighs about 6# per gallon so you divide the pph rating by 6 to get gph. I think both of these pumps tend to fall off at the higher pressures we typically need on our turbo cars, make sure to rate the pump at the psi you will be using it at. 45 pounds base pressure plus 25 pounds boost == 70 pounds operating pressure. Or plug in whatever your numbers are running. I have had to run as much as 90# fuel pressure before.

I'm running 42lbs FP at idle now. I'm getting a new billet 62 turbo from Bison and converter being made by Dusty so this car going back on the wheels in the spring. FP might be raised at that point or larger injectors. What external pump would you recommend?

The a1000 pump you can rebuild if needed, believe Jegs sells a kit or summit. I would think that a1000 should provide plenty of fuel though.

Looks like the A1000 can flow about 625 pph at 13.5 volts at 70 pounds pressure and about 550 pph at 12vdc at 70 pounds pressure. Your 60 pound injectors add up to 360 pounds total. The mallory pump is lkely close to maxed out at 70# with the numbers you stated The A1000 would be o.k. Do you know what size injectors you will need with bisons new turbo? 11101-chart.jpg

Looks like the A1000 can flow about 625 pph at 13.5 volts at 70 pounds pressure and about 550 pph at 12vdc at 70 pounds pressure. Your 60 pound injectors add up to 360 pounds total. The mallory pump is lkely close to maxed out at 70# with the numbers you stated The A1000 would be o.k. Do you know what size injectors you will need with bisons new turbo?View attachment 180346

With the 60 series turbo, 60# injectors, on the dyno I was at 72% DS @ 17# of boost. After I install Bison 62 billet and the more efficient converter, I will see how these injectors hold up at higher boost without cranking up the FP too much. I'm thinking a set of 80# injectors will be the ones I'll end up with.
Thanks for the info on the pumps. Hotrodbuick said there is a rebuild kit for the A1000. I really like this pump a lot....super quiet. I just didn't want to spend $350 bucks for a new pump and I have the Mallory just sitting on the shelf. I'm gonna check out this rebuild kit and the Mallory can keep collecting dust...

Looks like the A1000 can flow about 625 pph at 13.5 volts at 70 pounds pressure and about 550 pph at 12vdc at 70 pounds pressure. Your 60 pound injectors add up to 360 pounds total. The mallory pump is lkely close to maxed out at 70# with the numbers you stated The A1000 would be o.k. Do you know what size injectors you will need with bisons new turbo?View attachment 180346

Is the 13.5 volts measured at the pump @ idle, or at WOT?

usually measured as close to the pump as practical with the car at idle. If you had a way to put a regulated air supply on the fuel regulator to temporarily boost your pressure up to 70# or so would be even better way to check the voltage supply. You probly have a extra relay and seperate 12 gauge wire running this pump? Voltage can be measured at idle but pressure can also be measured at wot / high rpm to check for pressure drop to tell you if the volume capacity is there. Are you familiar with how the pressure should rise with your boost pressure?

I do have a relay with #10 wire direct to pump. Yes I'm familiar with FP rise with boost. My stand alone also graphs this. Never had any issues with FP or pump for that matter until it just died. I did check connections at relay and pump and everything was tight and corrosion free so IDK. I have seen many pump not start, then give them a tap and they start again. Having this one just quit while driving and then start working again with a tap seems odd to me... Thanks a bunch for your help!!!