Fuel pump longevity?

BARRACUDA1968

I'm currently building a new motor, set up is in my sig.

My car has a Red's XP plus pump I believe that was installed in 2004. To my knowledge the pump has never been changed. It worked fine on my old set up but the new motor is quite a bit healthier than what I had. I have owned the car for a little over a year.

I seem to remember reading that it's a wise idea to change the fuel pump on a regular basis. I know a lot of what you read on the net is unreliable and everyone has their own way of doing things.

My thought is if it ain't broke don't fix it but I plan to send my alky pump for a freshin up every 2 years so I thought I would ask about the main fuel pump. I just run straight fuel.

If I go with a new pump what would be a good match for my new motor? Maybe the pump I currently have is too small anyway?

What are your goals for the car and what type of use(s) is the car gonna be put under?
What size injectors are on the new motor, as that has a bearing on how much fuel pump you'll need to supply your injectors with adequate fuel.

Figure I'll be able to run a high 10 but mainly a street driven car.

Just ordered 5.7 chip and #80's

I'd get a DW pump from Nick Micale or your preferred source. It works well with stock lines but should still feed 80's.

Like I said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The pump matched boost 1 to 1 and seemed to work great on the old set up.

For some reason I thought I read somewhere to change fuel pumps on these cars on a regular basis but this thread is indicating otherwise. Not too many people confirming those thoughts.

I do mine every 4-5 years if it needs it or not, but I'm hitting the track quite a bit and put on a lot of miles.

You never hear of a Reds pump going bad. I have one bought many years ago mid 90'S replaced it twice with new 340's on rebuilt motors which gave out . The Reds pump is still going strong in car now. Just my 2ct

Well that's good news. The importance of proper fuel delivery is the only thing I don't like about these cars. I have 2 sources of fuel delivery between 93 oct and Alky. If either one decided to give up the ghost at #25 pounds of boost I'm probably doing head gaskets.

Maybe I'm just paranoid?

I have had the same twin 340 setup for roughly 12 years....no problems it does what it is suppose to.....however I keep the boost fairly low on my car (I seem to work on it less with lower boost levels) and it does not see the track every weekend but the skinny pedal does see the floor every time I drive it :D

I appreciate the referral to the DW pump, but I would like to comment on my experience as it applies to your case.

Over the years I have used many of Red's pumps with good success, but not only is your pump 10 years in age and use, it is also 10 years behind in development of in-tank pumps.

My favorite street/strip build is similar to your's with a TE-45A, and we have seen and proven with a Red's pump the injector duty cycle will exceed 100% at WOT throttle at this level as it is in excess of 500 RWHP.

At this point, we always go with a double pumper, or one of the new turbine-type pumps at the least.

Another comment that may piss off a few posters here is their comments are really of no relevance in your build as either they do not have a GN at the level of yours, and have no real-world experience at that HP level other than their Red's pump is still working?

My final comment here is I would NOT recommend a single DW300 pump in your case as it would be marginal at best.

It is amazing how much engine damage we see due to inadequate fuel supply, so we ALWAYS over build the fuel system for good insurance to protect an expensive engine. :)

Last edited:
Hell it's only money.:D:D But money well spent if it protects my engine.

I got to thinking the other day about this car. I bought it off the board for $16,500 and drove to Chicago and trailered it home. I bought the car because it was done, basically modded the way I wanted it. I made a few small changes etc but nothing major. I thought it was a good buy because it is a nice car!

I think the car was hurt when I bought it and I don't think the previous owner knew either. Eric was a good guy. One of the main caps was installed wrong and it reared its ugly head in my lap. The signs were there I just didn't know enough about these cars at the time. I spent the money for a wideband and PL so I could tune the car properly just had some bad luck.

Since I own a car dealership I keep tack of every penny I spend on it in my computer for insurance reasons. I'll break $30,000 total before this build is done.:eek: The extra is not all in the motor of course.

I very well aware if you want to dance you gota pay the band but I didn't want to hire the Rolling Stones a local band would do.:D

I could have saved some money a certain parts like cam and lifters but I asked Husek to design the motor the way he would for his own car. I'm a decent wrench but any engine I have built has been from a proven recipe of parts that work together from people that know.

Dave's already been to school so there's no need for me to go!;)

Last edited:
I'd get a DW pump from Nick Micale or your preferred source. It works well with stock lines but should still feed 80's.
Until this pump came onto the turbo Buick seen,there was no in tank pump that put out enough volume to overwhelm the stock return line at idle and low speed operation. This is the first pump that could be and has been problematic with the stock lines. Are you sure you want to mislead people by saying it works well with the stock lines?

Stroker, GN1's, ported intake, TE45a, alky, wideband TT 6.1 etc just like yours. I have had no problem with fuel for the past few years. Weldon 1100 external with Aeroquip TFE -8 feed and -6 return to the stock tank. My 80# injectors at the 10.5 @ 130 level I think only run I think 50-60% duty cycle. I don't even look at that % in the logs much anymore since I know it has plenty. Probably spent over a grand on teh fuel system messing around with all the fittings and custom stock fuel rail adapters n stuff.