Fuel Pump Hotwire PROBLEMS!!!! Help

tjhgn85

The Fast and the Furious
What my problem is, is I keep blowing the fuse for the fuel pump in the fuse panel. I had a hotwire kit and since replaced it thinking that was the problem. It is still blowing. The hotwire fuse is fine. I replaced the fuel pump and it is still blowing. I went from a 15amp to a 30amp and it still blows the 30amp. The stock connection goes into the hotwire kit so I snipped the stock power (red) thinking there is a short in that and it still blows. The new hotwire kit is fully grounded and connect to the altn........what could it be, it sucks cause....well I can't even start the car. Please help, what to try next....there is 2 more wires from the stock line, I think one is ground and one is from the ECM..............

I don't think the hot wire kit is your problem. It sounds like the factory harness may have gotten pinched somewhere and is grounding to the chassis.

I would trace the factory harness from the tank forward.

Did you replace the pump? Have you dropped the tank recently?

I wouldn't suggest putting heavier fuses in. If it's a 15 amp, don't use a 30! This is a good recipe for disaster!

Chances are a short to ground or possibly a bad pump.

Yes I dropped the tank and replaced the pump so I know the pump is good. If I disconnect all the wiring and reconnect it it will turn the pump on but when I turn the key it blows the fuse. Its a bitch to trace cause from the tank its all in the harness.

So if you disconnect the hotwire connections and just use the factory connection by the back bumper it still blows?

Does the fuse blow when you put the key forward or do you have to crank the motor for it to blow?

If it blows only when you crank the motor unplug the injector harness and then see if the fuse blows again.

Keep in mind the injectors share the same fuse as the fuel pump circuit.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

--------------------------------
So if you disconnect the hotwire connections and just use the factory connection by the back bumper it still blows?
---------------------------

Yes if I totaly disconnect the hotwire kit and just use the stock it blows. It at sometimes does fire and turn the engine, I have even run around the block, but then it blows and stays blown.

Jack,

Once the fuse blows it always blows when I turn the key, the pump doesn't even prime. Its wierd, weather I have the hotwire kit in or straight to stock it blows. I even ordered a new kit from you and still it blows. I am thinking that its a bad wire somewhere and that is why it will start sometimes and most of the time blow. I have not checked the inj harness, I will do that. Any other idea's?

thx!!!!

Pump Runs?

I think you said above that when you disconnect/reconnect wiring, the pump runs, without the key on. And then when you turn the key on, the fuse blows? Did I read that right? If so, there is something hinky with the way it is wired. The lead to the pump shouldn't be hot when the key is off. Maybe two wires are switched, so that when you turn "key on" there is a direct short to ground, instead of through the pump.???

This a long shot but do you have the stock oil pressure switch connector hanging loose?...if so it can short against the front cover/block and will blow the fuse...

No the pump doesn't run with the key off. There is power from the Altn to the HOTWIRE relay, but the fuse blows before the relay gets tripped to start the pump. now if I diconnect everything (hotwire) and re-connect it all GOOD, it will start the car up fine, but on the 3rd or 4th start or if I drive her the fuse blows and then will continue to blow just when the key is turned on.

What size fuse are you using in the fuse panel for the pump & injectors?
What size fuse are you putting in the hotwire harness?
What type of injectors do you have?
Do you have someone that has a current clamp meter that could tell you how many amps the pump is drawing?
I am still not convinced this a pump problem.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

You could be grounding out on top of the tank where the wires come out for the sending unit/pump. I think you are going to have to drop the tank again :(

I am going to have to check to see if I have the stock oil pressure switch hanging.

Jack,
I am running:
-15amp fuse in the panel. It also blew a 30amp.
-20amp in the hotwire which has been fine.
-stock injectors

The pump was drawing 25 amps when we messured it. I'm not an expert so am not sure if that is good. I think its a wire somewhere thats shorted out, I have grounded everything I can good.

Bob,

The wires on top of the tank are rusty but nothing peered out at me that would cause a problem. Maybe I will have to drop it again and put in all new wires