Fuel Pump Access Panel

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Has anyone put an access panel in the trunk for the fuel pump so you don't have to go through the trouble of dropping the tank?

I have seen guys replace pumps in under 30 mins at the track. So it isnt worth cuttng a hole in trunk floor

It is easier to drop the tank in a Regal than it is to cut a hole in the trunk. I swapped one in about 20 minutes using a floor jack and basic tools (I've had a little practice) LOL. Different story in a TTA though! Still didn't cut a hole in the car but having to drop the rear axle to change a fuel pump is just a bad design.

Sounds like a good idea to me, though I should of put a drain plug in the trans pan now that I've dropped the pan about 6 times. I keep saying, 'this is the last time' :)

I can cut a hole in the floor with a cut off tool in about 2 minutes, I'd like to see someone drop a tank faster. Mine is a nice car, and with all the hacked up cars I've seen, an access plate UNDER the carpet..... who would know, let alone care.

What kind of pump are you using that you need to keep replacing it?

I have a Walbro 340 from end of '09 that seems to be laying down. Just looking for ideas for a simpler way to change it next time.

I've seen 1 like that before....cut your trunk up :rolleyes: hmmm......I probably would not.

I see no problem with it as long as it was done properly bead rolled flanged sealed and looked proper like the access panels in the newer cars.

big reazon said:
I see no problem with it as long as it was done properly bead rolled flanged sealed and looked proper like the access panels in the newer cars.

Right. I wasn't going to use the gas axe. A nice rolled edge with multiple bolts to hold it in (or some sort of lock down hinge or clamp) would look fine i would think. Might even be able to get a factory lid from the junkyard that would work.

Right. I wasn't going to use the gas axe. A nice rolled edge with multiple bolts to hold it in (or some sort of lock down hinge or clamp) would look fine i would think. Might even be able to get a factory lid from the junkyard that would work.

Do this in two mins?

Ha ha. No it would take a few hours at least to do it right but after i was to drop the tank another 4 or 5 more times it would have paid off.

I started the thread to see if anyone had done it and discuss ideas. It was just a thought exercise after coming in from the garage all sweaty and dirty. ;)

I have an access panel to the fuel pump / hoses that i did to make it easier to get at if i ever need to for any reason.
Let me just say that i have owned 7 turbo regals since 1987 and have never had a fuel pump go bad on me. I have though replaced / upgraded the fuel pump in most of those cars,and did it the old fashioned way laying on my back under the car wrestling with the tank on top of me and decided there had to be a better way. Since this is going to most likely be the last turbo regal i own when i replaced the fuel pump to upgrade it i put in this access panel/cover,with the carpet in place you would never know it's there if i didn't tell you.It may not be for everyone to do but for me it makes sense. Here is what i used and it gives me access to everything.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81117363.htm

I ve installed 3 of them- I use a $25. 12" x 12" access panel from home depot in the drywall section- riveted it in and painted black under the trunk mat- works great- I can remove the pump in under 5 minutes with no gas spill issues .

Yea x2 on the pics im soon installing my double pumper and im thinkin on doing the same thing...

Just a question on this....Does anyone have measurements on the ideal location of where to cut this access panel opening?