Fuel Pressure Way Too High

SixOn66

Finally A Racing Member
I finally got my cam sensor figured out. Now my fuel presssure is at 80 at idle. I take the hose off it dose not drop. I disconnected the hot wire and it dropped to 60. I changed the gauge same thing. I have a Billit FPR, took it apart nothing looked wrong. I swapped it out and its still at 60psi. Anyone have an idea why I can't lower the fuel pressure? Clogged return.

Thanks,
MJH

Thats what I found on mine,a clogged return line at the swedgged joint between the hard line and rubber. It would pump up but not drop.
I cut off swedged joint and just used two clamps.
Mart

Sweddged joint? I don't know what that is. Is that in the back, front by the hard line from the frame or front by the hard line that goes up to the FPR?

SixOn66 said:
I finally got my cam sensor figured out. Now my fuel presssure is at 80 at idle. I take the hose off it dose not drop. I disconnected the hot wire and it dropped to 60. I changed the gauge same thing. I have a Billit FPR, took it apart nothing looked wrong. I swapped it out and its still at 60psi. Anyone have an idea why I can't lower the fuel pressure? Clogged return.

Thanks,
MJH

Sounds like a clogged return line. You can check part of it in sections. Take it loose from the bottom of the reg and were it joins the rubber section and blow air through.

Sully

Yes it sounds like the problem is in the fuel return line. But since you don't know where I would suggest removing the complete line from the regulator and running a hose into a tank/container. We have diagnosed problems like this before. The fix was either a #6 S.B. return line or a new S.S. replacement fuel return line; both from the reg to the tank.

Hope this helps you.

OK. I went out and disconnected the return line at the front frame and no fuel came out. Gauge said it was at 40PSI. I took of the regulator and some gas came out. I opened up the regulator and put it back together and back on. Turned the key it went 20PSI and dropped to 0 when it fell out of the bottom of the regulator. I sprayed WD40 in the line and blew it out the line, Reconnected the line to the regulator, turned the key forward 20PSI to 0 when fuel dump out at the frame. I reconnected that together and now all it does is crank with an occasional sputter like it wants to start on one cylinder. The fuel pressure jumps to 60PSI when I turn the key and drops to 40PSI after 3 seconds. Any ideas why I have a no start when I did have done nothing but mess with the regulator and fuel lines?

Also, any Idea where to get replacement bolts that hold in the regulator?

OK, " it fell out of the bottom of the regulator" Good.
So the line connected to the base of reg is clear. Correct?
"turned the key forward 20PSI to 0 when fuel dump out at the frame" also good
Like ESP said run a line from that connection into a fuel can and try to start it, just for a moment.
How do you know that the last line INTO TANK is clear?
Did the adjustment of the reg get changed? 20lbs
Disconnect return line at gas tank, blow ait thru from the front with a good seal can you hear it leaking iat the rear?
Mart

Martin U said:
OK, " it fell out of the bottom of the regulator" Good.
So the line connected to the base of reg is clear. Correct?
I agree.

Martin U said:
"turned the key forward 20PSI to 0 when fuel dump out at the frame" also good
I agree also
Martin U said:
Like ESP said run a line from that connection into a fuel can and try to start it, just for a moment.
I dont have a line that will connect to that fitting. Anyone know what size it is?
Martin U said:
How do you know that the last line INTO TANK is clear?
I really don't. But the cranking pressure not at 80PSI any more. So I believe that the regulator is bleeding off the pressure. Pressure when cranking is in the 40's.
Martin U said:
Did the adjustment of the reg get changed? 20lbs
Yes. I have tried it all the way in, all the way out, and where it was set when I started.
Martin U said:
Disconnect return line at gas tank, blow ait thru from the front with a good seal can you hear it leaking iat the rear?
Mart
I will see if I can try that but, I don't thnk that line has a problem from what was said above.

I must still have something wrong here. Would some one like to tell me the the what pipe is what coming out of the fuel tank and the the hard lines going forward from over the rear end? I have it as

Front of car Fuel tank Rear of car
Return Vent Feed

and

Drivers side End of stand pipes Passenger side
Return Vent Feed

Do I have this messed up? Is the return in the center, the smallest tube?
I finally got done replacing the feed and return lines with -6 braided back to the the stand pipe and the stand pipe lines with the Classic Tube Stainless. But I still have 54 lbs of vac off FP.
What would returning the fuel onto the the tank through the vent line do?
I tried searching could not find a diagram. I remember seeing a pic of junction above the rear recently but cant find it.
Thanks

If you still have any stock connections at the rear the vent is the one with only one squeeze type clamp. The feed & return have double screw type clamps. Otherwise If I remember correctly The feed line is 3/8 the return is 1/4 and the vent is 5/16.