Fuel Pressure/ No start problem.....

coolguywalt

Well, got ready to go home after work and she would not start. I have had no problems, no weird noises from the fuel pump or anything. I can get it to crank, but no start. Have no fuel pressure. Fuel pump is hotwired. Pulled out relay and it looks good, doesn't smell burnt or anything. Fuses look good too. So, at this point, I unplugged the memory wire by the battery and when I plugged it back in, I hear a clicking from the fuel pump relay under the hood. Is this relay bad? I undid the hotwire and reconnected the stock wires for the fuel pump, and still nothing. Did the pump go bad without any warning?

Run a powerwire to the pigtail hanging out of the wiring harness near the powersteering pump. I believe it's brown but it's the only other one besides the green tach lead in that area. It bypasses everything upstream like fuelpump relay and fuses. If pump doesn't come on, it's in the wiring from that point on or the pump itself. Or you can sit at the back of the car with a voltmeter on the plug at the bumper and have someone turn the ignition on and see if you have voltage.

I plan on trying that tomorrow....first, I got to get it towed 15 miles back home :( I went and played woth it some more today and I don't think that I am getting power to the pump...I am not sure. I tried that hot wire thing you said cool 84 and the pump never came on....I am leading myself to believe that the fuel pump decided to just quit with no warning......weird, huh?

It's happened to me before. Sometimes you can get lucky and bang on the tank and it'll come on for a while. If you could get someone to crank it and bang on the tank, there's a very small chance it might work until you shut it off again.

hey man i just got my car back like a week ago i had the smae problem u just describe i had a new fuel pump installed and the mechanic checked all the wired from the fuel pump to the front of the car it turned out to be a ground problem that wasnt activating my fuel pump check ur fuse and wiring from th fuel pump i will get more detail on what exactly he did to start mine back up and ill let u know

Well, I seem to have 20,000 ohms of resistance in the fuel pump taken out of circuit. This is bad, right? It should be a lot less, huh? It should be less than 20 ohms i would think since it only a coil of wire.

Same thing your describing happened on my brothers '86 a few years back. Wound up being the plug that cool 84 described. It somehow touched the header and was grounding out. If I remember correctly fuse may have been blowing too, not sure, been awhile. Try putting straight power to the pump at the plug in the back and see if it comes on. That will eliminate the possibility that its simply a dead pump. What pump are you running? stock?

Yea, it is the origional, could be the fact that I put the hotwire on about 4 months ago and it prematurely aged the pump.

Well, took me 2 hours to drop the tank, pull the fuel pump, and get everything back in BY MYSELF!!! But it worked and the car is up and running again!! :) Well, guess that takes care of that problem!