FUEL PRESSURE ISSUES!

MONSTER GN

Im having an issue with my 87, I have good fuel pressure at idle and while driving normally with no boost. I have it set at 45PSI. But when I start to hit boost (which btw isn't happening until 3,000 rpm, but that's another problem) but either way when I start to hit boost the fuel pressure does OK, then when it tries to hit hard the fuel pressure drops to 20PSI. could this be caused by surging and giving the MAF False readings? i don't quite no where to look or what could cause this, but this slow/no boost is driving me insane. A few things ive already taken care of is exhaust leaks, i have no plumbing leaks (that im aware of under pressure), and all vacuum leaks have been taken care of. But i guess lets stick with my fuel pressure issue and go from there. It is a new pump from ac delco, but considering swapping it out with a 255LPH pump, but im pretty sure ill still have the same issue, because even the factory pumps weren't this bad, something else has to be going on here. any help and advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much

I'd go ahead and plan on getting a good Walbro pump with a hotwire kit. This may not be your issue, but you need this regardless. I assume you have stock pump wiring? What about your FPR, is it possible its not doing its job?

Fuel pressure jumps up when i remove vacuum hose, i swapped out my factory one yesterday with the adjustable one from SETURBO (which has been sitting in my tool box for a few years). What is this hot wire kit i keep hearing about? and yes stock pump wiring but i have lengthened the wires, for some reason when i put the car back together the harness was like a a foot to short i routed it wrong somewhere lol. it just breaks up real bad when it tries to boost hard and that's when i noticed fuel pressure rapidly dropping. Maybe the answer to this is simple and it really is just a crappy pump.

Fuel pressure jumps up when i remove vacuum hose, i swapped out my factory one yesterday with the adjustable one from SETURBO (which has been sitting in my tool box for a few years). What is this hot wire kit i keep hearing about? and yes stock pump wiring but i have lengthened the wires, for some reason when i put the car back together the harness was like a a foot to short i routed it wrong somewhere lol. it just breaks up real bad when it tries to boost hard and that's when i noticed fuel pressure rapidly dropping. Maybe the answer to this is simple and it really is just a crappy pump.
ive just never seen fuel pressure drop like that before, but these cars are a different animal of their own

Hot wire kit is a 10 ga wire that runs from the alternator through a relay to the fuel pump. Stock wiring is junk at best. Order one with a new fuel pump BEFORE YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR AGAIN!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Unless you want to be building a new engine or at a minimum you need practice e changing he'd gaskets. Get the pump and hot wire kit installed and then we can get your car rippin in no time. Also, if you spliced the wires, did you use quality splices and use a quality crimper? Cheapo auto parts store stuff is marginal, at best. Good solid crimps take skill. Did you add length before or after the connect for on the back bumper?

I wouldn't get a WALBLOW ... opt for the DW301 .. they are far better pumps .. and as others have stated . hotwire it and make sure you have a good power at the pump ( ground side is usually an issue)

I wouldn't get a WALBLOW ... opt for the DW301 .. they are far better pumps .. and as others have stated . hotwire it and make sure you have a good power at the pump ( ground side is usually an issue)
i got a CNT Racing 255LPH Pump, (atleast this one has a life time warranty) lol

Hot wire kit is a 10 ga wire that runs from the alternator through a relay to the fuel pump. Stock wiring is junk at best. Order one with a new fuel pump BEFORE YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR AGAIN!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Unless you want to be building a new engine or at a minimum you need practice e changing he'd gaskets. Get the pump and hot wire kit installed and then we can get your car rippin in no time. Also, if you spliced the wires, did you use quality splices and use a quality crimper? Cheapo auto parts store stuff is marginal, at best. Good solid crimps take skill. Did you add length before or after the connect for on the back bumper?
Pardon my ignorance to these vehicles, but I do keep hearing people say I will destroy this car with this issue, why is that? but I am not driving it so that's good I guess. When I spliced the wires I soldered them in. I had to add wires right at the connector for the pump. Im sorry yall if I ask a lot of questions but I am still learning a lot about these buicks. but my first task is I want my fuel pressure proper so we are heading in the right direction

ordered the hot wire kit from cottons. So all parts should be here by Wednesday, so I will definitely keep yall posted with the results of all this.

Keep asking. There are a lot of good guys on here to help. If need be, PM me for my number. Send me a text and I can help.

Run a n/a engine lean and you'll do damage including pounding the bearings and burning pistons and blowing head gaskets. Do it with a Turbo Buick and the same will happen only it will take just seconds to do major damage.

If nothing is broken/kinked/squeezed/clogged/leaking (fuel or vacuum lines or filter) and the car is mostly stock, and you have a good adjustable regulator (set for 43 psi or higher), and a good better than stock fuel pump, and good voltage going to the pump, then..........

The system almost has to work perfectly. There's not much more to it than that. No computers, no sensors, no nothing. It really is that simple.

When you make big power and start using alternate fuels and start changing fuel line sizes and using double pumps, you are then re-engineering the system a little, then things can get more complicated.

You can not drive a TR without a healthy fuel system PERIOD! Damage will definitely happen.

Thanks yall. Atleast ur helpin me answer my questions. Some of the turbo buick FB pages arent as nice when i ask. Get a lot of hazing if you dont know everything their is to know about these cars apparently. So i came here and have had more help with this one post than i have ever had on dang FB. I want this car right by fall so it can breathe some nice cool air

If you want to learn about turbo buicks ,this is the place to be , period .

I think I'm speaking for a few members here when I say I feel a true sadness when I see a TR fall into the wrong hands and it's butchered and beaten.

But even worse is when I see a newbie trying so hard to get it wright and feel for his disappointment when no body will help. So many people have messed these cars up with the wrong advice over the years. And I run into them all the time at shows and events. They all tell me the same thing. "I had one of these, what a pain in the ass it was. They don't run worth a crap." I say "who worked on yours?" Then they tell me how Joe-Shmo who is some expert hot rod guru (but knows nothing about TRs) did all the work.

I took my advice from those who know Buicks. I think I should offer some in return.

Cool avatar. By the way, I hope your collar bone healed up nicely.
Lol it still hurts i did that 2 weeks ago i guess 3 wheelers really are dangerous. Only took 14 years to have one bite me lol. And since this vehicle is a fresh build i dont wanna mess it up. I want it right. Im learning alot and i thank yall fer the help once again

Hot wire kit is in,as well ad the fuel pump. I will be installing it shortly. Wish me luck this fixes my issue. I also ordered a knock gauge from kirban so i can monitor that whilst driving. Try to keep this car alive strong and healthy