fuel pressure gauge mech/elec?

dfirefighter

Im trying to get as much inpute as possible. which fuel pressure gauge to get, elec. or mech? I was wanting elect. to put inside car with a pillar pod. but if they are junk and inaccurate than I will make a hood mount one.

any inpute?

From (most) everything I've read and heard from about 1997 when I got my TR, the electric FP gages are inaccurate/junk. You 'CAN' run a mech. gage inside the car with the 'isolator', which is a tube (that YOU fill and bleed/vent) that is filled with antifreeze. I've always read that this is a big pain in the a$$ too, and causes problems down the line with air bubbles/ AF leaks/etc., and some claim the isolator interferes with accuracy as well. I don't claim to KNOW, but I have a mech. hood mount, which I verified to be accurate with another gage at the rail, and it's simple, reliable, and always in my line of sight. I've grown so accustomed to it, that I can tell exactly how much boost I'm at almost subconsiously from the FP number. I really like mine.... plus everybody thinks the 'TACH' on the hood is cool!! :biggrin:

I am running an Autometer Electric fuel pressure gauge in mine. Compared readings with a mechanical gauge and it was dead on. Nothing wrong with electric as far as accuracy and resolution on the full sweep style. The only downside to electric is the cost compared to mechanical :eek:

As gossamer said, compare the reading of whatever electrical gauge you get (do buy a name brand one, though) to a good mechanical gauge which you should have anyhow. Check it at ~30, 45, 60, and 75. Even if it is off a couple #s, no biggee, just note the difference.

Generally gauges are more accurate at the midpoint, so get a 0-100 electrical. For a good mechanical, Ashcroft 1009SW gauges (ASME grade 1A - 1% full-scale accuracy) pop up on ebay regularly, or are ~$60 new.

I'm using Cyberdyne & have never calibrated it. It is close, setting fuel pressure works as good as I need.

The fp gauge is an excellent trouble isolating unit, I was able to use it to diagnose a fuel problem.

I'm not keen on any mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cabin.:eek: