Fuel leaking from exhaust?

That GN Guy

Long story about this car...

I moved to Hawaii and bought my first GN. I drove it for about a week and the seals went on the precision turbo, all kinds of smoke and such. The job I moved there for sucked really bad and I moved to Florida for a better one. I picked up my old car that was sitting patiently at my folks place in Jersey and drove down to my new job. After a month and a half, the GN arrived in Jersey only to be dead. The jerks that shipped it left the switch on for the fan and killed the battery, also it had no gas in it. My father jump started it and drove it home, smoking all the way.

After that, we pulled the turbo and sent it to be rebuilt during Christmas. I came home for a week during the spring and we installed it and were very exited. Needless to say, problems arose...

Theres fuel leaking from a weld in the exhaust, the car runs but leaks fuel?? It stalls when you put it in gear, and idles moderately rough. We pulled the injectors and they aren't clogged and the car holds fuel pressure when the car is shut off. The car is pretty modded out with: precision turbo, full exhaust, FMIC, Max Effort wheel/chip, alcohol injection, and NOS brand fogger on the Kenny Bell intake. I hear the former owner of this car had the motor built in California, not sure to what specs. It did run 22psi but is currently set to 15.

Does anyone have any idea of where I can start on this?

-Pete-

First of all...are you sure it is really FUEL leaking out the exhaust? Sounds to me like you have a fuel return line under the car that is leaking due to rust and corrosion. Fuel can't really leak out of a running motor through the exhaust...it would get burned up by the turbo, maybe even causing a fire. I would check all your fuel lines going from the tank to the motor. Put the car on a lift and let it idle and check for where the leak is coming from. If you have fuel leaking, the car will not run right (starving for fuel), especially if the feed line is leaking. I would check the passenger side first. Start there and let us know what you find.

I tend to agree with Don. Are you sure it's fuel and not just condensation? Can you ignite the droplets with a match?

I have had fuel spraying out the driver side header (good way to find a header leak...lol) when I pinched an injector wire behind the rail. Check your injector harness first to make sure it's not grounded somewhere.

There is a pin hole leak where the two collector pipes come together right before the turbo. There is "fluid" pouring out of that hole, not dripping. It smells like straight gasoline, but I never tried to cup some and burn it. When first starting the car it will be fine, but after about 30 seconds or so it starts to flow out. I'll check the wiring for the injectors... I really appreciate the help btw :)

-Pete-

There is a pin hole leak where the two collector pipes come together right before the turbo. There is "fluid" pouring out of that hole, not dripping. It smells like straight gasoline, but I never tried to cup some and burn it. When first starting the car it will be fine, but after about 30 seconds or so it starts to flow out. I'll check the wiring for the injectors... I really appreciate the help btw :)

-Pete-

That sounds like condensate. Capture some, I'll bet it's water(condensation). Smells because it's running through sooty headers.

How do your spark plugs look? You could always take off the crossover pipe and see which side it's coming from....