Fuel gauge question

turboman38

It costs money to go fast
I have a digital dash in my T and my fuel gauge isn't even close to accurate. I'd say it reads probably 4-5 gallons too high. How do I fix this problem? Is the problem in the tank or in the dash?

I also wanted to buy a low fuel warning module thinking maybe when my fuel got low that the light would come on. Does the low fuel warning module read from the same signal that the fuel gauge reads from?

hey jim my car did the same thing when i replaced the fuel pump i took the sending unit apart and noticed the ramp in the sending unit was corroded so i cleaned it off with scotchbrite and now its accurate to empty

No, if the guage reads too full the float is not filling with gas. that would make the float sink down in the tank and cause the guage to read less than the actual fuel level.

Is there anything different about the sending unit for a digital dash? So I need to drop the tank and inspect everything..........float and sending unit right? anything else I should check for? If the float is rotted where do I get a new one?

you need to put an ohm meter on the sending unit and check the resistance it should be zero then move up like a tps sensor clean smooth number increases. on getting a new one i would try gbody parts

The low fuel module will NOT work with a digital dash.

Found that out the hard way.

I think it flashes E when you have no gas left.

I've been on E once but was searching and found a gas station at that time.

I would look for a bent float assembly causing it to float high in the tank and look at the ohms readings for smoothness.

The element that may need cleaning is inside a metal housing the float mounts into and requires unbending some tabs to get at to clean/repair.

Digital dash is different ohmage than the analog one, not sure it makes a difference down at empty though.