fuel flow test ?

tsm3089

Just curious how this is done. I see b grant site says 1 gallon in 20 seconds for a 9 second car. how would this be checked on a fuel system on a turbo regal.

If the components are not mounted, it's easiest to send it to someone who has a test bench with all the equipment.

If they are mounted on the car, you apply the rail pressure you will be running (add regulated shop air to the reg or just turn the base fp up), loosen the return and arrange it so fuel dumps into a calibrated bucket (gallon paint can for ex) and time how long it takes to fill the volume. Divide by time and convert to whatever flow rate you need.

You will need to flow your system at the predicted boost you will run plus your base fuel pressure. ie base 43 psi +25 psi boost= 68 psi. Then figure out your injector flow rate and make sure your injectors dont out flow your fuel supply. I don't think you need 3 gal /min for a 9 sec car, slightly under 2 will do. You will probably see 1 gal or less on intank single pump

at 40 psi i get about 1 3/4 gallons through the -6 return at the cell in the trunk. At 70 psi it returns 1 gallon.

Lot is correct, put a battery charger on to keep the voltage up. 1 gal is enough to support 63 lb injectors at 100% duty cycle no more approx

6.3lbs gal for premium fuel

6.3 lbs gal x 60 min = 378 lbs/hr /6= 63 lb injectors @100 % duty cycle.

378 lb/hr / .55 bsfc= 687 bhp= 550= 10.9@125 mph estimated

the one gallon at 70 psi was with 2 xp plus pumps at 12.5 volts. The car has been 144 mph.

The calculations have a lot of safety factor in them. AS long as your not maxing out your injectors, your fuel system is supplying enough fuel...