Fuel Economy for your Turbo Regal, getting 17.6 MPG here...

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
What kind of fuel economy are you guys getting with your cars?

I have a built 3.8, small roller cam, 3200 lock up converter and 60lbs injectors.
Even with my chip set up for lean cruise I am getting 300 miles per tank (17 Gallons) or ~17.6 MPG.
This is with 90% freeway driving and no full throttle or gunning it, just simple commuting.
I don't know about you guys but that seems a little low.

Here is what the cars were rated at from the factory:

18 Combined
15 City
22 Highway

I got the information from the following web site:

Fuel Economy of the 1986 Buick Regal

It is really great, I was able to tell my wife that my car (money pit)
get's better mileage than her Town and Country Mini Van...

Anyway, what are you guys and gals getting?

Makes me wonder about the Thrasher Chips Urbans Legand of over 30mpg.

I can remember getting around 24mpg on a road trip once....don't really keep track of that anymore as I dont make any long enough trips...LOL unless trips to the local tracks for a few 1/4 runs count.

I also got 24 MPG , that was highway, TC locked and lean cruise setting on the chip.

My expedition gets around 8 mpg and that's on the highway :rolleyes: 2 weeks ago when I took mt t type out I filled up I got about 300 miles on a fulltank don't know what mpg I have no way of telling. But when I beat on it forgeaboutit:mad: now my 2010 camry is in a league of its own:smile:

My expedition gets around 8 mpg and that's on the highway :rolleyes: 2 weeks ago when I took mt t type out I filled up I got about 300 miles on a fulltank don't know what mpg I have no way of telling. But when I beat on it forgeaboutit:mad: now my 2010 camry is in a league of its own:smile:

how do you have no way of telling your miles per gallon? just divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it takes to fill it back up..

my car got 17mpg with the stock 84 ecm and chip on gas, 14 on E85.
i did have one magical tank of E85 that got 24mpg with 2 passengers, luggage, and the AC blowing ice cold at 80mph for 100 miles and 60mph back road driving for the rest of it. this was without a functioning lockup torque converter, which is a problem that the 87 ecm fixed.
last summer, i got 18-20 with straight gas depending on how i drive it. never put more than 50% E85 in it last summer, but my mileage doesn't drop off at that ratio. this is with the 87 ecm with TurboTweak chip. i have done some hidden aero mods that have worked on other cars in the past (blocked off openings in the rad support behind the headlights and between the rad support and header panel), so i think i might get slightly better than last year.

Stockish GN, a few mod removals away from being a TSA spec car, Loaded up about 4100-4300 #'s, with 275 50 17's (28" dia) I got 20.x mpg last year driving the GN to reynolds, at about 78-82 mph...Running larger tires out back really helped drop the rpms. On 235 60 15's usually it gets 15 or less in city traffic in very short trips < 2 miles and 18-19 highway. A/C always on and the car weighs 3700 in street duty. I don' try to save the planet either.

Bob Bailey told me he got 29 driving down to indy (2006?) in his GN using the lean cruise feature. Not sure how "built" his motor is, but I know it does have a small roller in it.

I never got better than 18 on the highway, even when it was "close to stocK". At that time, I regularly saw 15 city daily driving it.

With my 14k car, I have seen a best of 35mpg, car is super light, has no option, came with radio delete. My other car seen a best of 31mpg with the thrasher. Now it has a 4.1, haven't calculated the milage but I'm guestimating around 22-25mpg.

Also, that's Canadian gallons. They are much bigger.

My GN as modded below got 14-15mpg in the city with me heavy on the go pedal and 22-24 on the highway always cruising around 80 or so. Looks like everyone is getting the same whether they are stock or heavily modded.

A friend of mine claimed she was getting 30mpg on the highway with a no option WE4. I believe she had #36 injectors and the typical bolt-ons only. This was most likely with a old Red Armstrong chip to. That being said this was back in te early 90's and I'm going to assume that she had cruise control set to 55-65 most of the way.

Now, what kind of fuel economy to TTA's get??

Mpg

Going from Louisville to Indy. If I'm driving highway 55-60 its about 23mpg (25 drafting my dads RV). On the interstate 75-80 more like 20mpg had 17 one trip with the dash flashing 85 for an hour and a half. city i never get better than 16mpg. But I'm first from every light. :p

I usually get 15-17 on a 75mi highway only commute cruising between 75-80mph. I usually put my foot in it once or twice during a normal trip. And if it makes a difference, my car runs rich with BLM's hanging around 117 during my last trip.

Bob Bailey told me he got 29 driving down to indy (2006?) in his GN using the lean cruise feature. Not sure how "built" his motor is, but I know it does have a small roller in it.

This is kind of what I wanted to hear.
I have asked Bob to chime in.

Thank you to everyone for responding.

I don't recall saying *I* got that mileage. I personally have not gotten that kind of mileage, but I can never keep my foot out of it long enough to do well.

I have had several people report good mileage in the 27,28,29 range. But never any documentation.

Mileage is affected by a lot of things, tire pressure, alignment, driving style, engine condition, accuracy of your measurements, etc.

Bob

I don't recall saying *I* got that mileage. I personally have not gotten that kind of mileage, but I can never keep my foot out of it long enough to do well.

I have had several people report good mileage in the 27,28,29 range. But never any documentation.

Mileage is affected by a lot of things, tire pressure, alignment, driving style, engine condition, accuracy of your measurements, etc.

Bob

:confused: You were helping me with my maf pro on my old white car. When you explaining the lean cruise feature to me I thought you said you were able to hit 29 on the way down from MI? Could be wrong, guess it was 5 years ago alreay (wow time flies!)

I'm remembering that time, I remember getting good mileage. I don't remember exactly what though.

The car would have been built as follows
baby roller cam (204/204 .480 lift, I was gun-shy after my billet 206 failed)
ported irons
PT6152 turbo
stretched stock IC
60lb injectors
MAF translator Pro.
Stock/original shortblock otherwise.

Bob

I've done 26hwy ONE time... dont know how or why, but I did it one time. I think I average 22ish on the highway with no boost.