Fuel delivery problem. Extremely frustrated

sbrantley

Anyone got any idea what could be wrong? Here's the rundown.

My ol girl's been down for a while (probably 8 years) and I'm in the position to get her back on the street. When it went down I was having wiring problems that I think I narrowed down to a bad 'Dial a chip' that fried my computer. So in the last few months I've put in a new computer and Cotton's #6 performance chip. No dice. Wasn't getting fuel to the rail. So I dropped the tank and put in a new Walbro stock style and a new Hot Wire kit. When I turned the key, the pump came on for a few seconds and then nothing. I assumed the lines were clogged but today I dropped the tank again and pulled the rubber lines off of the steel line coming from the tank and still can't get the pump to run. Is there anything that would be keeping it from running? The old pump worked when I put fire to it on the bench so I'm pretty sure the new one's not faulty since it's doing the same thing the old one did. To add to the confusion, I've got a switch that will turn the pump on to dump the tank and it won't work. It's tied into the fuse box, not running direct to the pump.

Any ideas?

Try cycling the key on again and see if the pump runs for a few seconds.. This is normal. Try cranking it and see if it starts running again.Phil.

Normal for the pump to run a few seconds to prime it. Throw a fuel pressure gauge on it at the fuel rail to rule out the fuel pump being a problem.

At the back off the alt there is a black connector hanging in the harness by itself that is the fuel pump prime connector. You can unplug the underhood light and connect that wire to the connector by the alt. Or use a jumper wire from the alt + stud to it as well..... this will energize the pump. If not sounds like a wiring, fuse,e tc

pdzz, it primes once. Turn the key again and nothing will happen. Sometimes for a few days.

TR, I've pulled my gauge off of my fuel rail and not even a trickle while I'm turning the engine over.

Turbo Nasty, So there are separate circuits that prime the pump and run the pump? That would make sense for what's going on. I've checked all of the fuses. Looks like the next step is a re-wire.

Thanks guys

do you have oil inthe moter better check it if theres no oil then therers no fuel .

No thats just a tap thats in the harness that will send volts to the pump if lead is energized. Its like a test lead