Fuel cell installation

oldtimer

Can someone direct me to diagrams of the correct way to install the fuel lines using a fuel cell in my trunk. Pics that I've seen seem to have 3 fuel lines going to and from the fuel cell.

One line to fuel rail ... one return line ... what's the third line for .. I'm sure it's not a line to the fuel canister on a stage car ?

Also, the correct pump location .. what's the best pump and filter

correct placement of the filter ?

I'm preparing to install my stage motor and I don't want any fuel starvation. I'm using 160 # injectors

Thanks for any help

George

Originally posted by oldtimer
Can someone direct me to diagrams of the correct way to install the fuel lines using a fuel cell in my trunk. Pics that I've seen seem to have 3 fuel lines going to and from the fuel cell.

One line to fuel rail ... one return line ... what's the third line for .. I'm sure it's not a line to the fuel canister on a stage car ?

..............George

Still need a vent line on a fuel cell.:)

Re: Re: Fuel cell installation

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Still need a vent line on a fuel cell.:)

Of course !! I must be having a geriatric seisure:eek:

Thanks Nick

George

Well... aeromotive or weldon seems to be the two brands of choice for pumps on a stage powered car. Is your car going to be mostly track, mostly street, or a little of both? I have seen paxton, weldon and aeromotive filters and regulators used, some guys like to filter before the pump, some after the pump, and some do both. I will look for some pics of fuel cell installs, unfortunatly I haven't put mine in yet or I would just send you some pics of that. Racingjunk.com usually has a pretty good selection of pumps for sale if you want to save a couple of bucks.:)

Yep, I just checked on racingjunk, guy has 4 weldon 2035 pumps for sale. They will be more than enough for your application and he want $550 shipped to your door for them. Sounds like a good deal. :)

Thanks Stu

Car will be used mainly for track with very little street use although it's extremely street legal.

I would really appreciate pictures or diagrams of the fuel cell fuel line set up including the regulator. Is there a preferred regulator ? or does it come with the pump ?

George

More often than not the regulator is going to be mounted on the end of your fuel rail, or on the firewall. To the best of my knowledge, a regulator does not come with a pump unless you buy some sort of "package" deal. Maybe one of the big boys here that has a running stage car can shoot you some pics of their cell and pump install.:)

Here is the setup we have in the turboed farm truck ;) We run a single aeromotive eliminator pump. You can't see the back but it has two 8 an lines that Y into a single 12 an line. The vent has a check ball in it on the far side, and the line going in the top is a return from the regulator. This seems to have no problem feeding a 409 cu. in. Big block chevy with a 91 mm. turbo, but we use a blow through carb setup. Idles at 7.psi. and has a 1:1 rising rate regulator.
bradstruckbed.jpg

Originally posted by 65vette396
Here is the setup we have in the turboed farm truck ;) We run a single aeromotive eliminator pump. You can't see the back but it has two 8 an lines that Y into a single 12 an line. The vent has a check ball in it on the far side, and the line going in the top is a return from the regulator. This seems to have no problem feeding a 409 cu. in. Big block chevy with a 91 mm. turbo, but we use a blow through carb setup. Idles at 7.psi. and has a 1:1 rising rate regulator.
bradstruckbed.jpg

Thanks for the photos. You'll need to be careful when you're delivering eggs though:D

George

Originally posted by oldtimer
Thanks for the photos. You'll need to be careful when you're delivering eggs though:D

George

Yeah, 12 psi. transbrake launches make good scrmbled eggs though ;)

Weldon Pump

Weldon has a new pump:

D2345
Weldon Pump is introducing a new quieter, lower speed, long lived fuel pump that will support 2500 HP at 70 PSI

Also look at the 14000 Dial-a-flow voltage regulator.

They also sell complete kits.

The Dial-a-flow is pretty trick for a street driven car or even a race car. You can control the pump driving up to the staging lanes and on the return road.

Ken

Hey George

I just looked at your location.

I am Troy's friend that had the 67 Firebird with a GN drivetrain.

It been a long time.

Are you planning on going to the 100 foot races in Lethbridge?

I was planning on meeting Troy there.

Take care

Ken

Originally posted by gund
Hey George

I just looked at your location.

I am Troy's friend that had the 67 Firebird with a GN drivetrain.

It been a long time.

Are you planning on going to the 100 foot races in Lethbridge?

I was planning on meeting Troy there.

Take care

Ken

Ken, when is Lethbridge? I've got the car all apart right now as I regroup for my Stage engine. Not sure I'll be ready but would like to go for sure. even to watch and learn

:)

George