Fuddle Converters

Sweet6

Has anyone ever used used this converter? I have heard good things about them on the LS1 boards.

i was wondering the same thing as i am about to go th400. i did fill out their quote sheet for a recommendation. here is what they said.

From: "John Cameron" <jfuddle@msn.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: waltersjscn@yahoo.com
Subject: RE:
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:14:32 -0700

Jeremy,
Thank you for your interest in Fuddle Racing Torque Converters. I am
certain
we can make a converter that will not only perform well, and hondle the
power you are making, but will save you a lot of money in the process.

With your setup, going to a stall speed of about 3300 will really get
you
the launches you are looking for and on the brake, will actually stall
higher with the boost being created. The launches will be on boost at
that
point and will really hit hard. This design will also keep the turbo
spooled
after shifts and almost cheat it into extra boost. It will make amazing
power and will handle your setup well too. I really think the 3300
stall
speed is the perfect match for your setup. It will work great.

Considering the extreme amount of power you are planning on making with
this
setup, I would highly recommend going to our HP Series for this
converter.
It is a series that is designed to handle the kind of power you are
making
with no problems. We have seen them live behind single digit cars well,
so
it is a great fit for your setup.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions you may
have.
Thanks,
John Cameron
Fuddle Racing

>From: Site Visitor <waltersjscn@yahoo.com>
>To: Recommendation <jfuddle@msn.com>
>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:48:15 GMT
>
>
>Order Date - 3/1/2006
>Order Time - 7:48:15 AM
>
>Make - buick
>Model - grand national
>Year - 1987
>Weight - @3400
>Engine - 231 V6 turbo
>Engine size if not stock - 234
>Injection - Fuel Injected
>Transmission - Th-400 W/ transbrake
>gears - 3.42
>tires - 28x10.5 ET DRAG
>Camshaft - 224/224@.050 .560lift int&ex
>Heads-C.R. - Alum champion GN1 9.0:1
>Intake Mods - 249cfm@.600 in
>Exhaust - 219cfm@.600ex
>Nitrous/Blower - Turbocharger
>Nitrous shot -
>boost - 25-30psi / pt-70 turbo
>Altitude - sea level
>Use - Track first, Street Second
>Future - transbrake car will make enough power to run 9.70's-9.90's.
>Customer Name - Jeremy Walters
>MailFromAddress - waltersjscn@yahoo.com
>submitForm - Submit
>

i am still not sure about them though. i did notice that on their convertor sizing it was 245MM. i had a metric art carr(nevada) convertor that slipped really bad then was killed. i sent it to Art Carr(cpttrans) and was told the metric convertors are junk. that was straight from Art himself. so, i am still not sure about them. i know this probably doesnt help much, sorry. jeremy

I've never heard of them but Googled my way to their site for a look-see.

The following statement from their Web site is bunk:
Brazed Fins-

Rather than relying on the much cheaper alternative of simply brazing in a furnace, we spend the time to hand braze every fin inside the converter. This ensures that you are getting a much stronger converter.
A simple hand tack on the end of a fin is most definitely not stronger than furnace brazing. The way to do it correctly is to furnace braze as a normal course of affairs and add additional hand tacks as added insurance in demanding applications. There's a reason brazing is commonly used in aerospace applications, jet engines, turbines, etc.

Then, on their 'Smoke & Mirrors' page, they make some interesting claims. They insist that they more accurately rate the stall and STR than competitors because they are directly citing GM's OEM ratings of the core units. That's valid for a rebuilder who puts the converter back together without modifications but when fin angles are altered, stator blades machined, impeller/stator combos are changed, internal clearances optimized, the stock stall/STR becomes meaningless.

Secondly, because they don't employ in-house test equipment, they knock those that do by saying anything gleaned from this type testing is invalid. Funny thing though, proper use of test equipment allows you to determine, among other things, the actual STR and efficiency of a torque converter rather than relying on dusty old OEM specs. And if they want folks to believe that an outfit that can test in-house doesn't supplement those tests with on-track trials, they're nuts. :rolleyes:

ive read nothing but great stuff about them from the ls1 guys that run them. Although im sure Meanbuicks makes a good point. I found it funny that they have it listed as a 200r4 instead of 200-4r tranny, but i am considering one for my dads 85. He doesn't need a high dollar converter but i want something better than a restalled D5(what it already has) that i have had no luck with.

Jmo

I have a close friend who runs a fuddle 4000 stall in a 74,000 mile 2000 ls1 TA. Hp tuners, pace setter headers, & free flowing exhaust with the fuddle & that was it & went 12 flat. Consistently. On drag radials, stock suspension, motor, etc. The yank & precision that I personally used on my 2000 ss with same mods & hell even more mods still never made the track presence as the fuddle did. Dyno numbers were very very close in power in both cars but the consistency & dominating by the fuddle was really surprising.

My LS1 friend who has one did a lot of research before buying one. There were guys on the board who switched from yank or Precision to Fuddle. But the performance bewtween the fuddle, vig, and yank were virtually identical. He did not hear of any quality issues either. Pricewise the fuddle is $300+ cheaper. I do not like cutting corners, but so far I have not heard anything that makes th vig or yank worth $300 more.

Why would someone spend $5,000 to $10,000 on an engine, a few thousand on a trans, and then worry about $300 when buying a converter? I agree with Greg with the smoke and mirrors about what they do and don't do and how they rationalize their construction. Whether their converters work and last or not is not nearly as scarey as their "logic" about their construction methods.