FTS Cam and spring question

corsair231

Who has had experience with Full Throttle Speed's 208/208 flat tappet cam? It looks like that is the one I may go with. I know that Mike has said they haven't had a problem with wiping but anyone have first hand knowledge, good or bad, and how did it run? Okay with the stock converter? Who grinds them for FTS?
Also about the comp-cams 980 valve springs, any opinions about spring pressure and will they work with the stock retainers and locks? I've wiped two cams from two different makers and I don't want to do this again. I think the head shop may have put too heavy springs on them. I want to go back close to stock but I don't want it to be too light. The 980's looked okay and the price is pretty good too.
Thanks guys, I just want a few opinions before I actually purchase my new stuff. I've looked at several vendors and FTS seems to keep coming to the front of my mind, just want to be sure.

Was it just one lobe that wiped on your cams? Like the #3e lobe?

My 224/224 from FTS wiped that lobe, and I also wiped the same lobe using a 204/214.

I never said anything to FTS about it as it seems to be an issue with the lifter bore placement on these engines more than a faulty part. Although I have read about a reverse taper being cut on the stock cam and at least one aftermarket mfr. - do not recall the name of the mfr. that does the reverse taper

I think Comp Cams does the cams that FTS sells, but I do not know for certain.

If you are munching the #3e, I would suggest you go roller.

A roller set-up is totally out of the budget at this time. I had posted my troubles before Christmas and had several positive replies about getting a cam to live. Mike's was one of them. This car is a daily driver and thus the need to go ahead and repair it. I just can't afford the $700 dollar difference for the roller. I searched Comp cams site and unless it is a custom grind for FTS they don't show a 208/208 .440 grind. It was #3 exhaust last time but it was 2 different lobes the first time.

comp roller cams

only piad arond 300 dollar differance between roller and non. Non roller kit was 400, the rolloer set from Seast performance was 780. maybe thats closer price range for you, don't know. Just puting it out there for you.

DAve

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking at about $200-250 for what I need for my repair. $780 is a good price but from what I understand most roller setups require some machine work which adds to the cost. As it is now everything else is in good shape and all I need is the cam, lifters, gaskets, and springs with no machine shop services needed. I know a flat tappet cam should live. The original ran for almost 180,000 miles. The last comp cams one lasted only3 months. I've just got to find the right combo.

Sounds like the decision I'm facing. I hurt the bottom end on Ol Gray and after tearing the engine down, found #3e lobe looking somewhat questionable as well. Bad thing is, the cam only had about 350 miles on it....Comp 212/212. I think what got it was too much spring pressure, which I should have checked when the heads were apart for porting.... :eek: . I have a feeling they are Comp 981's, which are waaayyyy too stout for a flat tappet cam. I got the heads complete, so no idea what springs they really are....lesson learned, check the springs before assy. I'm just having a hard time with the thought of coughing up the extra $$ for the roller setup.....I'm on somewhat of a budget as well....lol.