Front sway bar?

turbo t we4

Heading to the track one last time before the winter settles in. What are the benefits of removing the front sway bar? Overheard a bunch of guys doing this for the track. Will this affect my street driving?

If you take it easy around corners you will be fine. The car will lean pretty bad and feel like a 60's Merc big body, but for a short trip it will be fine. I drove mine that way about 30 miles.

It did help plant the rears better, but if I ever get a chance to go to the track again I will leave the sway bar in and try to get it to hook that way. If you run true street tires it can help, but if using slicks I doubt it is necessary.

Eyup,

what Squid said--it helps weight transfer to back (via less wt in front to "lift") for "improved bite"--but not likely noticeable for street tires.

I just went to a 36mm hollow (F-1), but stiffer, bar--primarily for less body-roll + probably shaved off 10-13# @ same time.:biggrin:

Thanks for the input. I am running a real slick on the car so by removing the bar it wouldnt hurt me at all.

As long as you don't care about...

handling on road, you could also go to 80/20 or 90/10 drag shocks on front also--for improved weight transfer/bite...

An then, there's skinnies you could do up-front to even reduce weight & improve wt transfer even more...

And then, there's...

sway bar removal

i used to just remove sway bar end links and wire the end of the sway bar in up (position). this takes less time than completely removing the bar. and it makes "street" life alot more fun. u will still have the wieght of the bar of course on the front of your car, but i think it makes a big difference at the track. IMO, or if u race alot u can buy one of those HUGE rears and do away with front all together. its a pricey piece though.

I pulled mine completely off and gained ZERO 60' at the track. But, put it back on due to floaty caddy feel on the highway and in turns. I do leave the poly endlinks just snug thoug to help with some transfer.