Front stage speaker questions

TheDoughboy

Now that I have the 6.5's the the door I notice that the dash speakers seem to over power them in loudness. Does this have something to do with the doors being 4 ohms and the factory dash speakers having more ohms:confused:

Will this sound change after I add the x-over and tweeter?

Maybe it's just in my head. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

Actually the higher the ohm rating the more resistance hence the lower the sound should be. I would get rid of those factory 3 1/2's. They have a very poor freq range and will not handle much power.

By todays standards putting the tweeter in the 3 1/2 spot is not the way to do it. In the 80's it was. But now we know about sound location and that the you should have full range sound eminating from one location. Better off putting the tweeters in the doors somewhere or make a good set of 3 1/2's be the focal point with the 6 1/2's acting as midbasses.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
By todays standards putting the tweeter in the 3 1/2 spot is not the way to do it. In the 80's it was...Better off putting the tweeters in the doors somewhere or make a good set of 3 1/2's be the focal point with the 6 1/2's acting as midbasses.

Sorry I was not more clear on the tweeter. I will be mounting it on the door panel, next to the CSII grill, angled up. As far as the 3 1/2's, what brand and model will fit in perfectly without cracking the grill's? I have not done a search on the dash speakers yet.

Just seems like the dash speakers are louder than the doors right now. They are wired correctly and are under deck power only, for the moment.

Ron

They are louder because they are closer to your head and have a direct reflection off the windshield in your face unlike the doors which fire at your feet and legs.

Originally posted by mcss383
They are louder because they are closer to your head and have a direct reflection off the windshield in your face unlike the doors which fire at your feet and legs.

True but... I never noticed the 3.5's being louder Until I put the Pioneer in. Just cant figure out why:confused:

Thanks,

Ron

Originally posted by Two Lane
If only our legs had ears...:eek: :) :eek:

Yeah, that would be nice till I fart;) I'm not a true audiophile or anything and I am sure I will never notice the difference one day after I get used to it. I'll live. Sure surprised no one has replied about my 6.5's in the door without pods. Everyone seems to get there panties in a bunch over 6.5's and them not fitting and finding pods to mount them:rolleyes:

Ron

Originally posted by TheDoughboy
True but... I never noticed the 3.5's being louder Until I put the Pioneer in. Just cant figure out why:confused:

Thanks,

Ron

That's because the Pioneer's are at 4 ohms and the stock speakers impedance are alot higher.

Originally posted by TURBOV6
That's because the Pioneer's are at 4 ohms and the stock speakers impedance are alot higher.

So this confirms my orig post at the top of the page. Do I swap out the factory 3.5's for some 4ohm ones? Are most people putting bass blockers or a resistor on them for the low freq?

Thanks,

Ron

The only impedance available on 3.5" speakers are 4 ohms. I lost me chart of what cut off on the capacitor but start off with a 100 microfarad 25-50 volts non-polarize capacitor and add this in line of the positive lead of the speaker. The lower the number on the cap the more bass it will cut off if the 100 is not enough.

Hey Doughboy, would any 6 1/2 speakers fit in the stock location with modifcation to the lower body panel ?

From your post it sounds like the original csII pods don't fit anymore. But i guess a new one can be made.

I don't know how deep I could go, but my Polks are 2 1/8" deep http://www.polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=ex2560

I have asked 4 different people, that did not know I swapped speakers "does my door panel look flush to you?". All 4 said it looks fine. You cant tell the bottom Corner only sticks out About a 1/2".
Going to pods in my opinion kills the look of the interior, thet just don't look right. Keep in mind the overall stage might sound better with them for the true audiophile, which I am not. Now I will have all the sound "I" need and still look Totally Stock. You Will see the tweeters when I install them though. I will put them next to the CSII grills.

HTH,

Ron

Yes, those dash speakers are pretty loud. I played music after replacing speakers on one side of the door and noticed the dash speakers being louder than the tweeter setup i had.

I think i will be installing 6 1/2 also. Right now i have a 5 1/4 componenet set made by profile which includes 12 db crossovers and tweeters. I have mounted the tweeter to the CS II pod aiming it upwards toward the ears.

Right now the speakers are powered by my pioneer deck. The rear pioneer 4x10s produce more sound and bass than the front do. Hence the reasons for 6 1/2s.

My question is this. Should i get a plain 6 1/2 or the ones with built in tweeters. I want the 6 1/2 to be a midbass, but additional sound would be okay as long as it will sound right with the tweeters already mounted to the pod.

I also have a pioneer electronic crossover and 2 amps that i can install.

P.S. ... What happened to this forum. There used to be alot of information here. Most of it seems to be deleted. WHY?:(

You won't get much difference from the 5-6" because of the depth size of the speaker that helps on producing more midbass frequency. Or go with a set of kick pannel and paralell the doors with the kicks.

Sealing/damping up the door is probally you best bet in getting good midbass from the doors. And you other question on getting a coax (2-way 6 1/2")....Stick with a good pair of matching sperates and give them plenty or adequate power....