Front & Rear sway bars

85monte

Anyone notice a big difference in their car after they installed larger front and rear sway bars? Looking to upgrade mine from stock and wondering if it would be money well spent.

Brian

Depends on what your looking for. If its for carving corners then the reading I have done as of late has indicated that leaving the stock front and going with a 1" rear is a good place to start. If its for the track then a big bar like the H&R is what your looking for.

I just got a crapload of parts that haven't found their way on the car yet, so at this point I'm just a spectator. :smile:

HTH

85monte said:
Anyone notice a big difference in their car after they installed larger front and rear sway bars? Looking to upgrade mine from stock and wondering if it would be money well spent. Brian
----------------------------------------
For "G-Body" cars, there isn't any 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 rear sway bar made currently. So that leaves you with going to a 1" rear sway bar upgrade, or taking the big plunge for a 1 3/8" ATR replacement, or the big H & R parts bar set-up. I chose the 1" Global West rear sway bar, and I am quite happy so far. My personal belief is that a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 might be better, but none is currently made, and I think that the 1 3/8 rear sway bar is to big for most normal driving. For drag & pure street, I would think that the 1 3/8 or H R Parts set-up would be unbeatable. I just talked to BMR yesterday, and even though they currently show sway bars in both their on-line and other catalog, they were having trouble getting any deliverables, and have since discontinued either rear sway bars, or both sway bars. Let me know if you find a 1 1/8 rear sway bar from a reputable manufacturer. HTH

I have the 1" bar in the back, and the 36 mm "F" body bar in front. Lean is noticeably less, and less tire squeal when I go down an exit ramp in a hurry. I have 15" tires all around- 235-60X15. The tire size, springs, shocks, and sway bars all work together, so there are a zillion combinations, to match every driving style.

Wells

Wells,
I thought I had seen a sway bar advertised from BMR but when I went to look at it last night it had been removed. If I remember correctly they showed it on a white Monte Carlo. I was wondering what happened and you just answered that question. I have been thinking of putting a 1 3/8" sway bar on the front of the car and installing a 1" on the rear. The car never had a rear one installed when the car was bought new from the factory. I was looking for something to increase the handling and just overall help the car perform better. I see that some companies do offer a package deal and was thinking I would go that route. Now I just need to find a deal. ;)

Brian

85monte said:
Wells,
I thought I had seen a sway bar advertised from BMR but when I went to look at it last night it had been removed. If I remember correctly they showed it on a white Monte Carlo. I was wondering what happened and you just answered that question. I have been thinking of putting a 1 3/8" sway bar on the front of the car and installing a 1" on the rear. The car never had a rear one installed when the car was bought new from the factory. I was looking for something to increase the handling and just overall help the car perform better. I see that some companies do offer a package deal and was thinking I would go that route. Now I just need to find a deal. ;)
Brian
----------------------------------
What size of front sway bar do you have now. My factory one is 1 1/4, (1.25) and I think that is optimum for me. Keep in mind you might want room for an aftermarket intercooler down there, and that is a secondary reason that I am staying with the factory front 1.25 bar.I am running a Thunderfab now and plan sticking with that. All my life I have overcarbed, overcammed, & overjetted and I really believe that on the turbo Buicks it is better to start small & increase as nececcary 1 part at a time, after a certain point. You might be happier "rolling your own" rather than a package deal. Package deals compromise somewhere generally.

i have the ATR bar in the rear and a hollow 36mm front sway bar, matched with bilstiens, rear lower control arms from umi and my 17"wheel/tire combo and it handles very very well. Little to no body roll compared to a stockers.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to add a rear sway bar and see how the car acts.

Brian