Front Planet - Stock OK?

theo

I've started to tear down the 200-4r that I found over here in the UK after a looooong search. Considering the fact that I think it was probably stored in a field for a year or two, it's not looking too bad internally :biggrin:

On inspection of the front planet (not the O/D planet, I mean the planet assy. which is splined onto the fore end of the o/p shaft), the internal splines don't look too clever. I'm not going to reuse this - it'll definitely need replacing. But looking through some of the collected wisdom here and elsewhere, I've not seen anybody talk about this part being troublesome, so am I just unlucky? Is there a stronger replacement available or is it stock all the way?

Thanks
Theo

Looks nice!

I don't know if a billet unit is worth the expense for my car (I'm assuming it won't be super cheap!) at what power levels are the stock ones considered for replacement?

Contact Chris and he'll be more than happy to help you. He's helped me many times since I'm not a tranny guy. My main thing is suspension and engines.

I've started to tear down the 200-4r that I found over here in the UK after a looooong search. Considering the fact that I think it was probably stored in a field for a year or two, it's not looking too bad internally :biggrin:

On inspection of the front planet (not the O/D planet, I mean the planet assy. which is splined onto the fore end of the o/p shaft), the internal splines don't look too clever. I'm not going to reuse this - it'll definitely need replacing. But looking through some of the collected wisdom here and elsewhere, I've not seen anybody talk about this part being troublesome, so am I just unlucky? Is there a stronger replacement available or is it stock all the way?

Thanks
Theo
It is a problem and is often replaced with an aftermarket piece like CK's. At least 25% of them i see in high performance cars have at least some cracking in the spline area. Ive had them fail completely too.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've dropped Chris an email and look forward to his reply.

If we're not talking about a 600+ hp killer, the stock front planet splines will tolerate a little wear. Practically all of them come out of the case with some degree of wear. The trick is judging how much will dictate replacement. That is learned after inspecting a lot of front planet splines. If one were to replace every planet that showed the tiniest hint of wear on the splines, he would be replacing a very, very large percentage of them.
I'm referring to the planet that splines to the front of the output shaft. Not the O/D planet.

Hi Donnie, yup, that's the unit I'm referring to.

I guess we have to distinguish between "wear" and actual deformation of the splines - in my case I think it's the latter. I was surprised how rough looking they were, but perhaps I'm being overly fussy! I will take a pic and post it up when I get a minute. If i do go down the stock route, I wouldn't be happy putting this one back in - i'd definitely get a new stock unit.

I have a suspicion that a billet unit might be overkill for my needs. Hasn't anybody milled off the splines on these units and welded in a hardened splined insert yet? Like people have been doing with the O/D planet and ring gear?

Hi Donnie, yup, that's the unit I'm referring to.

I guess we have to distinguish between "wear" and actual deformation of the splines - in my case I think it's the latter. I was surprised how rough looking they were, but perhaps I'm being overly fussy! I will take a pic and post it up when I get a minute. If i do go down the stock route, I wouldn't be happy putting this one back in - i'd definitely get a new stock unit.

I have a suspicion that a billet unit might be overkill for my needs. Hasn't anybody milled off the splines on these units and welded in a hardened splined insert yet? Like people have been doing with the O/D planet and ring gear?
The aftermarket has been remanufacturing the stock planets since the beginning. One important part of the procedure is to correct the spline section. I'm not sure if just the spline is cut off and a new one welded on, or the whole carrier is replaced. I don't believe the new spline section is any different material than the original. I could be wrong, though.

Ok, thanks.

I'd have thought someone might have grafted in a hardened spline by now, if they're problematic here. Who rebuilds these? I've not found any online yet (but haven't searched too hard yet, to be fair!)

I may see if it's possible to get something made over here, then welded in. I have access to CNC but the spline broaching may not be straightforward... hmm, you have me thinking now!