Front Crank Seal

mtbraun

I am having a lot of trouble locating a front crank seal. Since I just need this part I was hoping to get it at a local parts store. So far I've checked them all. Both the Timken and Felpro shown to me have a much larger OD on the seal than the factory steel retaining ring for the old rope seal. They are both about 1/8" larger diameter. I don't see how I will get this in the TC without destroying the seal. The front cover is stock. I also checked with GM and they don't offer the seal anymore. Some of our vendors stock the whole front cover gasket set including the crank seal...I may end up having to go that route.

You will have to remove the cover to replace the seal. I just installed a new cover on my build using FEL-PRO Part # TCS45930.

You need to make sure to grind down the ~3 tangs the factory punched around the OEM rope seal to retain it. Yes - it was very snug, but I carefully tapped it in using a wood block, taking my time - it's in.

FEL-PRO Part # TCS45930
NOS4GN Link
Gasket Set - FelPro Timing Chain Cover Replacement

More info:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...best-way-replace-front-timing-cover-seal.html

Good read from VortexBuicks on the front cover - while you have it out:
VortexBuicks Front Cover Article.

Thanks for the info. I have the front cover off, the old seal out and tangs cleaned up already. I'm guessing these local guys just can't get me the right part.
There's no way I was getting in either the Felpro or Timken I was given.

I just ordered the full gasket set from Cotton's.

T/A Performance has front cover seals that will work in a GM cover, also the newer Fel-Pro timing cover gasket sets have a seal that will work.

Supersix posted the correct part number for a gasket kit with seal that works. If it's a chinese cover that loads the seal from the front, everything will work except the seal.

I bought a gel pro kit from TA. It does not have the crank seal. It states on the package timing cover packing (pn 3986 AF) is included. I assumed that was the cover crank seal. I have no idea what the o ring is for? I thought it was for the cam sensor but it seems too small and not thick enough.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394689059.303491.jpg

Earl if you would be so kind as to send me the link to your timing cover mods. I have been searching for hours for it.

That's not a TCS45930 kit. The one you posted comes with a replacement rope instead of a neoprene seal.

I have no idea on the link. I never need to read it LOL. Just look in the tech stickies at turbobuicks.com. It should be at the top.

The oring in the kit is for the Cam sensor. If you still need a Crank seal I have a couple of them here from my kit. They are the ones from the Felpro kit. Free to a good home.

The oring in the kit is for the Cam sensor. If you still need a Crank seal I have a couple of them here from my kit. They are the ones from the Felpro kit. Free to a good home.

That would be so awesome thank you!
I'll pm you.