Front Control Arm Removal

wallballs

Guys,
I'm removing the front upper and lower control arm to be sent off and powder coated. I've go the upper off but cannot seem to get the front spring and lower control arm to seperate. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Lance

I'm not sure what you're saying, but be extremely careful. That spring can hurt you pretty bad if it flies out and hits you. Should come right out after you separate the balljoint from the lower A-arm.

I'm guessing you didn't use a spring compressor. So the spring is still under quite a bit of tension against the control arm. Which means it could fly off and chop off a finger or two if you're not careful. As I see it, you have a couple options:

--Get a spring compressor and start over.

...or...

--Chain the spring tightly to the frame, get under the car so the control arm is between you and the spring, and pry the spring out with a big pry bar. Make sure the car is raised as high as possible and supported securely by jackstands so the lower control arm can move down as far as possible.

i just shove a prybar in through the shock hole and let her rip with another bar pulling the lower arm back. that's how i've done about 30 or so...still have all my fingers:D everyone says they fly far, only a couple feet:D