front clip alignment

alliedmike

2 Cyl short NO PROBLEM
Hey guys Ok so the the resto is getting close to being completed the issue i am having is getting the front clip aligned, anyone have any suggestions or tricks? or maybe someone has measurements from some reference points. thankyou in advance for the help
Mike

Are you having trouble with the door to fender gap? If so there is an easy fix: loosen the bottom bolt on the fender by the door. Then jack up the car at the frame point right under the door hinge. Watch the gap, the front end will actually sag a little. When the gap gets even, tighten the bolt and you are done.

Are you having trouble with the door to fender gap? If so there is an easy fix: loosen the bottom bolt on the fender by the door. Then jack up the car at the frame point right under the door hinge. Watch the gap, the front end will actually sag a little. When the gap gets even, tighten the bolt and you are done.

John, that's a good trick, I am actually having that issue sounds to me like it should take care of it, the other issue I am having is trying to square off the core support to the body so the hood fits in, I would like to get the area squared off before attempting the hood as best as possible I have the proper size between fenders but its not square, if I measure on the diagonal from the rubber stops on the core support to the top vertical fender bolts back by the windshield I am measuring 70 inches one way and 71 the other and I can't close the gap on that number so unless the points I am using for reference are not symmetrical something is wrong

Take the latch out of the core support so you can just let the hood down in the jamb. You can leave the spring on so you'll have a way to lift the hood back up; it's a pain to remove anyhow. I think you should install the hood, hinges and gas supports so that everything is there but just snug them so they are more easily adjustable. I would worry less about measuring and more about fitting. However I know where you are coming from. It's a two person job. With the header panel off it will be easier still.

I was just hoping there would be a nice easy way to measure and get it real close and then put the hood on for final adjustments but I should have figured it wouldent be that easy...im just trying to be so carefull because everything has been painted. Already and I only trust tape on the edges to protect only so much...guess I have no choice but to bolt the hood on and say a prayer. Thank you for the advice

I guess you could measure from the front inside corner of the left fender to the back inside corner of the right fender and vice versa. That should give you a square and would be the actual hood jamb opening.

I guess you could measure from the front inside corner of the left fender to the back inside corner of the right fender and vice versa. That should give you a square and would be the actual hood jamb opening.
Well I took these measurments and they are an inch off from each other and I can't adjust it out ...im just going to take ur advice and get it close and bolt the hood on and see where it ends up...its probably the best way to do it

Well, pull the fenders as wide as you can and loosen the core support at the mounts. That should let you sneak up on it. Good luck but please have a friend help you. Those are large awkward parts.

Ok so I tried ur trick and I see what ur talking about where the front end willl sag..my issue is the other direction I have a good gap at the bottom of the fender to door its the top that has quite a bit of gap..I pushed back and lifted the fender as far as it will go back and still have. Twice the size gap on top as the bottom, and doing that the tab on the fender where it,meets the coresupport has almost a half inch gap from the core support I don't know how this happens all body mounts are brand new and the car was lined up damn near perfect before I took it all apart :) so some how I broke it and have no clue how to get it aligned again ha ha

I don't even know where to start to explain this ... so I put the passenger fender on the car the door to fender gap is bigger than it should be and the fender is pushed all the way back as far as it goes, and where the fender meets core support. The fender is riding 3/4 of an inch high above the core support no clue or reason for that, so we put the driver fender on and that one fell right into place no issues, all that is completely unexplainable, so we put the fender to core support bolts in and crank them down drawing the fender down which slightly bowed the fender, so next we bolt the hood on and close it..great hood is perfect lines up with everything perfect. Except one issue...the hood hinge hits the tall 15mm bolt in the passenger corner that holds the fender on at the top. The only way to correct this is to pull the fender forward and then the hood hinge will not contact the bolt. But then this throws the door gap way way way off. Its almost like you have to see it to fully understand im fu**ing lost as can be..hopefully someone has an answer

Sounds like the core support needs some shim work by lifting the core it will close the upper fender to door gap and not bow the fenders down when you tighten them.
Chris

If I shim the coresupport it will twist the hood. As of now the hood closes perfectly

If you shim the core support the entire front clip will raise so it should not change how the hood closes just have to loosen the fenders so they can move.

Not sure if this was the proper fix but it worked.. I removed the passenger front cab body bushing and shaved 1/4 inch off the bushing put it back in and that corner of the car sat down lower and life is now good..not sure what the hell caused this the frame is straight and nothing is bent and it all fit at one point but whatever im not going to waste time thying to figure it out haha everything lines up now....thanks to everyone for the input. Damn cars nothing is ever simple