Freshly restored 1987 GN in IL - Pic taken in Oct. 2010

Dash65

This is my 1987 GN that was restored last spring / summer. This car belonged to my mom and it fell into disrepair. She gave it to me in May 2010. It took a lot of work to bring her back but its pretty nice.
I should be completely "done" with it in about 10 years! :eek:

Maybe pic will show up this time....

Trying again to make picture show up.

Attachments

• 7 - Copy.jpg
    7 - Copy.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 400
Since I figured out the picture thing...here's another!

Another pic of my GN. I only got to put about 50 miles on it before it went into storage. :frown:

Attachments

• 12 - Copy.jpg
    12 - Copy.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 385
Here's what I started with!

Here is what it looked like when the work started. I was pretty skeptical if it was the right move. Fortunately, despite how crap-tacular it looked in the begginning, there was extremely little rust to deal with. :)

Attachments

• 2010 05-29 02 - Copy.jpg
    2010 05-29 02 - Copy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 384
Yeah...it was a toss up.

I really debated parting it out since there were a lot of good solid parts under all of the crud. My dad hit it with his truck (he lead with the trailer hitch of course) so my mom got pissed, pulled it behind the barn under a tree and there it sat for 8 - 10 years. I had almost forgotten about it since it had been out of sight for so long and when she told me she wanted to give it to me, I envisioned what I remembered years back. I almost swallowed my tongue when I saw it in person. Many dollars, many late nights, and many saturday morning drives to nos4gn in Waukegan resulted in a decent outcome.
I love it now...especially now that I have evicted all of the various critters that had taken up residence. :rolleyes:

Since it had been in the family so long

I couldn't stand to cut it up. Everytime I remembered going on the test drive with my mom the day she bought it, it would take me back in time.
After she kicked it the first time out on the highway, I told her, "you HAVE to buy this car!".
I also kept telling her, "you can just give it to me when you get tired of it". :smile:

Glen, as chance would have it, the car is in storage very close to you. I'm going on tuesday to start it and let it run for a bit. Judging from the pics of your GN, yours is a real fire-breather. Mine is bone stock other than better bushings, shocks, and a couple other minor things where the stock parts were unavailable or could be counted on to break again (steering wheel plastic horn ring comes to mind).
Maybe come spring we can meet up in your neighborhood....now that I have one of these things, I feel compelled to hang out with others that are similarly afflicted!
Chris

Glen, as chance would have it, the car is in storage very close to you. I'm going on tuesday to start it and let it run for a bit. Judging from the pics of your GN, yours is a real fire-breather. Mine is bone stock other than better bushings, shocks, and a couple other minor things where the stock parts were unavailable or could be counted on to break again (steering wheel plastic horn ring comes to mind).
Maybe come spring we can meet up in your neighborhood....now that I have one of these things, I feel compelled to hang out with others that are similarly afflicted!
Chris

Sound good. I was just contacted by another guy that lives near me in Coal City.
If you get a chance, check out Chicagoland Chapter GSCA It's the local chapter of the Buick GS club. It's a GREAT group of people!

Driver side pic

Here's one of the drivers side. I had an extremely skilled metal guy pull out that horrible dent instead of replacing the quarter(or filling the dang thing with filler). Took him about 3 days to get it completely perfect.

Attachments

• 9 - Copy.jpg
    9 - Copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 289
Nice job. No matter how bad it use to look. You had some history with the car and that makes it so worth it to save. I would consider this priceless.