Fresh 200-4R and low pressure - tried everything!

I've had rebuilds that had unexplainable problems, can't remember the exact symptoms, changed the case and magically everything was fine. Looked over the old case for anything that would explain the problem and nothing. In the transmission industry there are rare cases where you just have to stop looking for a logical explanation and start replacing parts that might remotely cause the issue and hope you got it. Then, take a hammer to the offending part to make sure it doesn't get used in another unit.

I would do your research on choosing a builder wisely...check feedback 1st!

What I'm failing to understand is why anyone that buys a transmission with a warranty is paying anything to remedy a problem that is obviously the builders problem.

You pay top dollar to get a trans [headache] and then are forced to give out more money to make it right is crazy to me.

It's bad enough that you have all the down time and added expense of fluid and trans R+R if you don't do the work yourself.

I see a common problem with people willing to dole out more money for a lack of quality control on the builders end.

The biggest thing that gets my goat is hearing that you're not getting what you pay for, and hearing that what's inside of the trans isn't what you paid for.
There's no excuse for that under any circumstance, PERIOD. If you pay $3,500.00 and get a 2,000.00 dollar unit in my mind that is outright theft and I would prosecute the SOB.

I would have the builder test the unit before shipping and if it isn't right when I get it, the builder would be responsible for all shipping costs both ways at the very least and if he wouldn't agree to that then he obviously dosen't have enough confidence in his ability to deliver a quality product the first time then I would look elsewhere.

I almost went with CK but after reading the problems people are having I'm glad I didn't.

In all fairness to the builders I know it's not possible to have a 100% success rate on these units and my trans had issues when I bought it.

It's all in how it was handled that makes me happy that I went with EA. He ate the cost and made sure I was happy.

I guess I'm misunderstanding something. Just who was it that built the unit in question here?

The transmission wasn't built by Ck. The parts came from CK. The transmission was built using Ck's manual and instructions as a reference.

Correct me if I am wrong, Mathew......

[QUOTE="robzombie" If you pay $3,500.00 and get a 2,000.00 dollar unit in my mind that is outright theft and I would prosecute the SOB.

I would have the builder test the unit before shipping and if it isn't right when I get it, the builder would be responsible for all shipping costs both ways at the very least [/QUOTE]Who determines what the value is? If you have the "builder" test the unit in a car this testing will be built into the price along with the warranty. Also the person installing needs to be qualified. Plenty of unqualified people installing transmissions and then posting their problems here. I wouldn't even sell one unless I was installing it. There's to much that can be looked over during an install. Too many whiney bitches posting on Internet forums these days. The way I look at it is if you have to ask how to do any of it or are questioning yourself as to whether you did it right you aren't qualified to work on it.

[QUOTE="robzombie" ]If you pay $3,500.00 and get a 2,000.00 dollar unit in my mind that is outright theft and I would prosecute the SOB.

I would have the builder test the unit before shipping and if it isn't right when I get it, the builder would be responsible for all shipping costs both ways at the very least

Who determines what the value is? If you have the "builder" test the unit in a car this testing will be built into the price along with the warranty. Also the person installing needs to be qualified. Plenty of unqualified people installing transmissions and then posting their problems here. I wouldn't even sell one unless I was installing it. There's to much that can be looked over during an install. Too many whiney bitches posting on Internet forums these days. The way I look at it is if you have to ask how to do any of it or are questioning yourself as to whether you did it right you aren't qualified to work on it.
Qualified or not, getting answers is why I come and read. TO me once you pull the pan or disassemble anything on a build, you have taken custody, it is then YOUR build. There are plenty of whiney bitches but everyone built their first. No one is born with the knowledge and I am grateful there are professional like Bison and alkyv6, who take their valuable time to help us lesser backyard hacks try to get it right. Let me repeat, THANK YOU for your time and efforts, and sharing your knowledge.

I have a distrust as well as a small pocket book so I build my own. Whose to say what any of it is worth whether it was the $2k, $3.5k or a $5k unit. As my Dad used to say, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

If you could do it your self or there was a local guy with the ability no one would order one from across the country. My first Art Carr stuff was bought by me flying out to CA and renting a car. Driving up to Saticoy and getting Ken D telling me that AC built his so I drove down there, bought his stuff, went to KenneBell, and Turbo City while I was there. Getting back on the plane with a torque Converter was difficult then, try that today.

Go robzombie! In my shop if you buy a rebuild, that unit needs to work perfect before it leaves, and up to the end of its warranty. If that means pulling it out again, and again so be it. And that's the same if the trans came in on the back of a truck. If your unit is not working, take it back or get in touch with the people that built it. It don't take long to smoke a set of clutches!! If you need to find a good transmission shop where you are........ask any landscaper.

I guess I'm misunderstanding something. Just who was it that built the unit in question here?

You aren't missing anything. I built the unit myself. Somehow this thread took a direction that I never intended.

As for CK, I'm happy with them based on my personal experience.

Who determines what the value is?

The seller and the buyer of course.
If there is a meeting of the minds and you are willing to sell under certain conditions and the buyer is willing to pay, that my friend in the old days was called a CONTRACT, which has obviously been thrown out the window these days just like the constitution.

If you have the "builder" test the unit in a car this testing will be built into the price along with the warranty.

It already is built into the price as most advertise that their units are tested before shipping, which is a bunch of BS that is slung out there to make you feel confident in buying their product and the customer ends up with the bigger headache if/when the unit fails, unless people post up the issues so others can steer clear of certain builders.

In that case the builder shoots himself in the foot by letting quality/customer service slip and when word gets out your business suffers accordingly.

Testing in a car or on a dyno, who cares. Every car is different, ie; converter, power level, ect. .

I had mine installed by EA in my car and the next day I had issues so you can throw that theory out the window.

I've been a grease monkey for a long time, yes that's what we were called when I started in the field, not some politically correct term like lead technician or ASE certified technician which are just terms used to extract more money from ones wallet.

Qualified or not, getting answers is why I come and read. TO me once you pull the pan or disassemble anything on a build, you have taken custody, it is then YOUR build

Very true, unless the builder thinks you're qualified enough to let you drop the pan and change something in hopes that it doesn't need to get shipped back to them.

If you buy their parts and build it yourself and have problems you only have yourself to blame unless you received an inferior/defective part, that's why I pay for others expertise in area's that I'm not qualified.

I would gladly pay Brian for a turbo rebuild. Could I rebuild one myself? I sure as hell can! Will it be 100% right? maybe/maybe not, I don't have the knowledge of building thousands of turbos like Brian does and that my friends is why we pay others to provide goods and services to us.

Provide a good product or service at a fair price and you will thrive. Provide crap and your business will in due time die. I still believe in CAPITALISM, it works!!

RZ

RZ. I think Brian owes you a free rebuild in the future.

That there's funny, LMAO!!

I'll take him up on that if he ever offers his services.

I just call it like I see it and no BS or sweet talking here. I'm not trying to offend anyone when I post something it's just that I was raised in a different time when the word politically correct didn't exist.

My wife calls me Mr. 36 grit for a reason.

RZ