Frame notch ?

6togo

What is the largest tire wheel combo a GN will take with the frame notched and the stock wheel tub? Anyone have some pics of their notch job with big tires?

For starters a 325/50 15 is a common size with a notch.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

325's take a full notch. You need some very good frame reinforcement done. I have had a few say that you need to "massage" the inner fender. I'm shooting to try and fit them, but do not want any chance of rubbing on my car. I'm narrowing my rear housing, so I can set my tire exactly where I want it. This should make it as good a fit as possible.

heres mine
325/50-15 on 15x10rim
rolled lips
outer frame notched ( tsm legal)

next set wont be 325's , going to 295's.. so much easier, no notch needed but with the notch i'll be able to move 295's in and drop the car

Attachments

• PICT01303.jpg
    PICT01303.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 394
  • PICT0126.JPG
    PICT0126.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 474
  • PICT01292.jpg
    PICT01292.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 442
  • PICT0131.JPG
    PICT0131.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 370
heres mine
325/50-15 on 15x10rim
rolled lips
outer frame notched ( tsm legal)

next set wont be 325's , going to 295's.. so much easier, no notch needed but with the notch i'll be able to move 295's in and drop the car
what is your backspace
For this tire

pacecarta said:
5" with a 3/8 spacer (4 5/8 BS)

That's why I have to do a lot more work. I got 3" backspace on 10" rims. I'm cutting everything to fit. I won't know exactly how I'm gonna go about this until I have my other frame in front of me.

That's why I have to do a lot more work. I got 3" backspace on 10" rims. I'm cutting everything to fit. I won't know exactly how I'm gonna go about this until I have my other frame in front of me.
Donnie, no wonder why you have to ''cut everything'' to make them fit...you don't have enough rear spacing on these wheels! Jack just sold me some 15''x10'' wheels but with a rear spacing of 5.5'' ! ... Right now, I'm using these wheels with a 1/2'' spacer until this spring when Brian will do a frame notch. Then when the notch is done, I'll just have to get rid of the spacer and the wheels will fit just fine.

Claude. ;)

Donnie, no wonder why you have to ''cut everything'' to make them fit...you don't have enough rear spacing on these wheels! Jack just sold me some 15''x10'' wheels but with a rear spacing of 5.5'' ! ... Right now, I'm using these wheels with a 1/2'' spacer until this spring when Brian will do a frame notch. Then when the notch is done, I'll just have to get rid of the spacer and the wheels will fit just fine.

Claude. ;)
I know this already Claude, but Im running the VECTORS. I have stock alum T Type wheels up front, and my 10's look exactly the same. I did not want the 8.5's, I wanted the 10's and I was prepared to do the extra work. I have never seen another car with the 10's on it. It will look awesome. They are at the Chrome Shop right now getting the works. Wait til you see them...;)

With 3" backspacing wont you have to narrow the frame? your drums are going to hit the frame.. I have the 15x9 prostars with 4.5 b.s that puts the wheel in the center of the the wheelwell.I run a 275/50 15 the car is lowered 2" and everything fits in the wheelwell. section width is 11.75. I'm not to far from you coach you can try them on..

Adam

Been looking at some notch work done on the Regals i think my goal would be 315 DR's i will be running 18" wheels due to the big brakes. so the question is will a 18x11" wheel with a 315 DR fit in the wheel well once notched? I have half the wheel well lip shaved and I'm not opposed to widening the wheel tubs some but dont want to lose the back seat.

6togo said:
Been looking at some notch work done on the Regals i think my goal would be 315 DR's i will be running 18" wheels due to the big brakes. so the question is will a 18x11" wheel with a 315 DR fit in the wheel well once notched? I have half the wheel well lip shaved and I'm not opposed to widening the wheel tubs some but dont want to lose the back seat.

Yes u should easily fit a 315 with a frame notch. In fact there are a few that have done it without. It's all about backspacing. I have a305/45-18 on A 18x10 on my car and with be going with a 18x11 or 12 once I figure out my suspension. My car is notched btw . If u search 17x11 u come up with some ideas.

I just want to keep the tire under the car and i will be lowered some to keep the tire/wheel gap nice.

v6togo said:
With 3" backspacing wont you have to narrow the frame? your drums are going to hit the frame.. I have the 15x9 prostars with 4.5 b.s that puts the wheel in the center of the the wheelwell.I run a 275/50 15 the car is lowered 2" and everything fits in the wheelwell. section width is 11.75. I'm not to far from you coach you can try them on..

Adam

Why would you have to narrow the frame with 3 inch backspacing? If a 15x10 rim fits with 4.5" inch backspacing, then it will fit with 3" backspacing. Notching will be to fit the tire. A 275-60 will fit without any notch, a 295-55 will fit with a slight notch, and a 325 will fit with a full notch, and some tweaking of the inner fender on the trunk side. My point is the 15x10 rim will fit regardless of what backspacing is used. I will have to cut the rear housing to fit between the rims once they are set in place. If a 4.5 inch backspace fits and I have 3 inch backspace...I need to narrow my rearend housing approx 1.5"inches per side to put the rims in the same place.
********Remember...I'm sitting my car down over the tires, not leaving it at stock height!!!**********

I checked out a few cars this weekend at Norwalk and have decided AGAINST trying to fit the 325's in my build. I will not be able to sit the body down over the tires 2 inches like I am wanting. I will construct my build using 295's and achieve my look.