fox body as daily driver

DCVING 6

Anyone using a fox body (87-93) Mustang as a daily driver? I figured a lighter LX with a 5-speed and stock 2.73 gear might not be too bad on gas mileage. I have a Jeep for winter, so snow isn't an issue for me.
I've been driving a 96 Sunfire for the last 40k miles and its been alright. 30+mpg since its a 5-speed manual, but I'm getting so tired of it being an underpowered 4 banger... I'm afraid to pass anyone because I don't think I'll make. :eek: :D

unless you commute on the highway above 65 mph, the 2.73's are a little much, but you will get above 25 mpg on the highway. In town they are all around 18 mpg no matter what rear gears you have (within reason).

The best mpg 5.0 is the 200HP '86's. You can get 27 mpg on the highway and around 20 in town. They are down 25 hp from the others, however.

5.0's make a very cheap daily driver.

hmmm Don't know if I want to give up all my gas mileage. I drive about 400 miles a week between school and work. I would say 50% is highway and another 25% is 55mph country driving. I wonder how the newer cavaliers are. :rolleyes:

DCVING 6 said:
hmmm Don't know if I want to give up all my gas mileage. I drive about 400 miles a week between school and work. I would say 50% is highway and another 25% is 55mph country driving. I wonder how the newer cavaliers are. :rolleyes:

I have a fox,but have a Supercharger on it,a 89..gas mileage is about 14-15 overall,but the fun factor is much higher..I did have a stock 95 GT convert that did 22 mpg,but was pretty slow..

dont do it!

I had that red 92 lx a while back...of course its more fun to have a car like that as an everyday driver,, but it costs you alot more money...soon you will want it to be faster...and the gas milage sucks..I bought a used beat up 2000 cavalier and i love it...keep the beater as long as you have the Buick to play with...Pat :D

el national said:
I had that red 92 lx a while back...of course its more fun to have a car like that as an everyday driver,, but it costs you alot more money...soon you will want it to be faster...and the gas milage sucks..I bought a used beat up 2000 cavalier and i love it...keep the beater as long as you have the Buick to play with...Pat :D

Whats up Pat,
I remember it from up at AJ's. Jason was trying to get me to trade for it when I first thought about selling my WE4. I say now that I wouldn't care about making it faster, but honestly that would probably change. I'd think as long as I have the Buick that I wouldn't need to mess with the stang, but it doesn't help when the Buick is on jackstands in the garage. :D

i have one for sell if u are looking
a 90 gt
I have a really nice Mustang
Here's what it has:
BRAND NEW CONVERTIBLE TOP (just done December $27th)
GT-40 345 Horsepower Crate Engine Longblock (w/receipt and less than 1000 miles) GT 40 Aluminum Ultraflow "X" Ported Heads ($6900.00 installed with new Motormounts, & Tubular K-Member)
FRPP Chrome Valve Covers (Receipt just done last month)
Nitrous NOS 100 Shot Nitrous (Receipts for Nitrous and done last month) $1070.00
Brand New Tremec Transmission (have Receipt) $1600.00
Brand New Welds w/ Mickey Thompsons on Rear- (Welds still have inserts) $1300.00
Brand New Audio System ( Polk Momo components in Front/Rear 6 speakers) $270.00 from Sound Advice
Brand New Pioneer Stereo ( Just bought last week) (Paid 210.00 w/installation)
Brand New G3 130 Amp FRPP Alternator (just bought last month) (Paid $250.00)
3:73 Gear Ratio
FRPP Coil Springs in Rear 1 1.5 inch lowered
FRPP Struts in Front (Lowered for Performance)
Lakewood 50/50 Drag Shocks
Blue Thunder Shifter- King Cobra Clutch (Brand New with Engine)
A/C
Cruise Control Works
Power Mirrors Work
3 Core Row FRPP Radiator (Brand New)
255 Walbro Fuel Pump (Brand New- Just bought Oct)
BBK 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust (Brand New)
GT 40 "X" Heads 2.02 Intake 1.6 Exhaust w/ Roller Rockers
Everything is Brand New On My Car! and I have all Receipts including $2,000 in money spent just in last couple months. All receipts including motor/transmission/clutch/flywheel etc, total $13,500
Also, Aluminum DriveShaft FRPP
BRAND NEW Interstate Battery
Full Length Subframe Connectors
UPR Switchpanels/Shiftknob
Autometer Silver Gauges
BBK 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe (brand New)
MAC Ceramic Coated Header (Brand New)
Edelbrock RPM Intake
Ford Racing Performance Parts "B" Camshaft
3 Row Radiator from Ford Racing Performane Parts (FRPP)
UPR Cold Air Induction with Pro-M 70 mm Mass Air Meter
Brand NEW15" Weld Drag Lites with Mickey Thompson ET Streets on Rear
March Alternator Pulleys- SFi 50 oz Fluid dampner
MSD Cap/Rotor- Ford Motorsport Wires

Everything done Professionally and Right- Have All Receipts Car is Extremely Fast for a Convertible!!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for something stock to use as a daily driver. :cool:

The Fox cars make a great daily! I had a stock 89 LX 5 speed with 2:73's and I got 28 mpg on the freeway cruising about 80-90 from Minnesota back to Indiana. I also have a buddy who has an aod with a 2800 stall, exhaust and 3:73's that averages about 23 mpg driving approx. 70 miles round trip a day. They are fairly inexpensive and they are a blast to drive. The other nice thing is they run forever and if you need parts they are a dime a dozen and cheap. Just my .02.