Found surface rust after headliner removed

Gunmetal87

Redoing my interior and after removing headliner I found some surface rust on underside of roof skin. The area of the skin that has the light surface rust is above the roof reinforment rails and around the edges by windshield and doors.
What's the best way to remove surface rust from these hard to get to areas and prevent rust from coming back ?
No rust anywhere else, floor pans are solid and clean.
Thanks in advance.

I would por-15 it Buy from eastwood brush on with brush no need to remove existing rust,but be careful anything you get it on it will not come off.

Thanks chuck forgot to add that I guess I thought everyone reads instructions first LOL ! Boy I know that stuff works great as I use it professionally on rust repair but it can make a hell of a mess

Thanks guys
And what a mess the old headliner foam makes.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had the same thing. I think it comes from humidity over time; my car is always indoors.

I just sprayed mine here and there with some gloss black Rustoleum. Drape a sheet over your interior to keep overspray off the upholstery.

Found the same surface rust. It took 25 years to get there so I used a dark red pad on it then coated it with Permatex Rust Treatment that I had around. I followed that with some Rustoleum from a sponge brush.

The Permatex said something about 200 degree limit which I suppose the roof could exceed so hopefully the whole thing will not self destruct at that temp?:eek: Assuming it doesn't, the car will still be around with little or no rust long after I am gone.:(

The under side of the roof wasn't exactly coated when it was made. The top heats up and when it cools off the insides are still hot so you get condensation. Wire brush the heck out of it and use some sort of rust removal on it. I use Rust Cure which removes all the rust and leaves a clean surface to work with. The prime in a zinc rich primer and paint it so it's sealed.;) If you want to add some sort of insulating material it will also keep the insides cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.:D

don't look under your dash... none of the steel braces under there are coated or painted and they are all going to be covered with surface rust, too.. also, don't look at your seat tracks or the framework for the seat cushions..

I also had the same thing when resting my car. I cleaned it as best as I could then hit it with rust reformer.

It took 26 years to get that way and it should last another 26 years.

D

don't look under your dash... none of the steel braces under there are coated or painted and they are all going to be covered with surface rust, too.. also, don't look at your seat tracks or the framework for the seat cushions..
you're right, found little surface rust on seat tracks

Thanks guys, will try my best to get in under the roof rails.

Off the subject, curious, do you put the black clips on the trim pieces first for the front & rear windows to hold the headliner. Seems too hard to put trim piece on when the black plastic clips are on the body first.
Thanks

The only time I ever saw it bad enough to rust completely through the outside of the roof panel was when a car had been in a flood.

Might be easiest to just use the Rust Reformer spray; Walmart , Home Depot, etc
(the stuff that turns rust to black)
Not sure on the rear, but you slide the 5 front clips onto the trim
(they more or less line up w/ the notches) & the snap 'em in
they can break & its a bear to find replacements!
Just remove the 2 screws from "A" pillars & you can wiggle 'em out of the way
to put the front trim on.
Haven't done the rear trim in years so I don't know what, if any, problems there are to it...

Do_O

Might be easiest to just use the Rust Reformer spray; Walmart , Home Depot, etc
(the stuff that turns rust to black)
Not sure on the rear, but you slide the 5 front clips onto the trim
(they more or less line up w/ the notches) & the snap 'em in
they can break & its a bear to find replacements!
Just remove the 2 screws from "A" pillars & you can wiggle 'em out of the way
to put the front trim on.
Haven't done the rear trim in years so I don't know what, if any, problems there are to it...

Do_O
Thanks, that helps. This is first time I'm taking interior apart.

A quick search shows this t nice write-up for "headliner replacement." Its for a precovered variety.

The parts you might need are available - A couple guys on EBay sell the dinky Gbody used stuff. Board members might have extras. Just ask - usually not much money.

I'm trying to strip the cost down so I repaired and recovered my old broken cracked headliner to match. I will be using this helpful write-up to reinstall my old one soon. BTW I used paper, Elmer's and headliner adhesive to rebuild the one I have - now if it holds together - it has so far but the headliner is still in the Garage attic.

There are a couple vendors that have hardware here. That helps foot the bills for us all of course.

Write-up:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...h-a-precovered-abs-piece.317142/#post-2538678