Found new job after retiring from the military

Silver Fox

I retired from the Air Force after 25 years last June.

My wife, son and I travelled around over the summer seeing family and ended up at San Antonio, Tx in August so we could get our boy in school.

We moved to San Antonio with no job prospects at all, only hoping I would be able to find work.

Luckily, a federal government job recently became available on Randolph Air Force Base and I was selected for it and will start next Monday. Although the money isn't quite where I hoped it to be, they offered me four weeks of vacation a year so that eases the pain somewhat.

The funny part of it - the chair that I am going to be sitting in is ten feet from a chair I sat in when I was active duty and stationed on Randolph Air Force Base during twenty-two months in 2003-2005.

It is going to be hard going back to work after being a bum for the last five months. But I am glad I took the time off, as I will probably have to work another 20 years before I retire for good. It's probably a good thing I am going back to work as I think my wife is tired of me being around so much.

Rob

congrats rob. about time you got back to work ;)

Thanks Brent. On one hand I am anxious to go back to work, but then on the other I wouldn't mind another six or seven months (or years) off. However, I am currently renting a small 1000 sq ft home with a one car garage (something I could afford not working), and going back to work will allow us to build our dream home. And as a minimum, it will have an "oversized" three car garage, but hopefully more. The garage will also have a sink in it and 220V power.

Rob

Congrats! My dad was stationed there in '00 at long range planning. We lived off of Pat Booker Road across from HEB. Don't know if it still is, but back then that was a really nice neighborhood!

San Antonio is one of the places I would like to retire too once I am retired from the Navy. Got another 12 years before I'm eligible though!

Good luck with the new job

And as a minimum, it will have an "oversized" three car garage, but hopefully more. The garage will also have a sink in it and 220V power.

Rob

dont forget a small closet and powder room in the garage as well...oh and room for a bed so the wife wont have to sleep on a cot:biggrin::biggrin:

Thank you for your service to our great country, and congratulations on the new job! :cool:

I retired from the Air Force after 25 years last June.

My wife, son and I travelled around over the summer seeing family and ended up at San Antonio, Tx in August so we could get our boy in school.

We moved to San Antonio with no job prospects at all, only hoping I would be able to find work.

Luckily, a federal government job recently became available on Randolph Air Force Base and I was selected for it and will start next Monday. Although the money isn't quite where I hoped it to be, they offered me four weeks of vacation a year so that eases the pain somewhat.

The funny part of it - the chair that I am going to be sitting in is ten feet from a chair I sat in when I was active duty and stationed on Randolph Air Force Base during twenty-two months in 2003-2005.

It is going to be hard going back to work after being a bum for the last five months. But I am glad I took the time off, as I will probably have to work another 20 years before I retire for good. It's probably a good thing I am going back to work as I think my wife is tired of me being around so much.

Rob

Let me know what you found out Rob

Rob congrats on your retirement from CMSGT. I hope someday to retire too but I have a few more years of AF politics (if you know what I mean) to deal with before I can consider it.

Not sure what I'll do when I retire. I've heard civil service folks make good money. But I've also considered doing something with diesel mechanics. I can't blame you though on your 5 month vacation....I'll probably do the same when I hang it up.

Glad you fond something to do Rob. Now get to work on the car and do the brake mod so you can stop when you have to. LOL JK Glad to hear everything is working out for you.

Glad you fond something to do Rob. Now get to work on the car and do the brake mod so you can stop when you have to. LOL JK Glad to hear everything is working out for you.

I have to build a house first. All my belongings are in storage to include all the Buick parts.

Congrats on the new job sir.
Good to hear the news.

Patrick