Found 15psi boost knock (cam sugestions?)

SCD

I found my 15psi boost knock today. Partially wiped #3 exhaust cam lobe.

Car is stock with 59,000 miles.
hot wired hp fuel pump
caspers ultra chip
adjustable fuel pressure regulator

This car is a around town driver and on the inter state. I don't want to sacrifice driveabilty for loads of power.

What are your favotive choices of cams?
Anyone go to large with a cam and hate it?
thanks
Steve

What led you to a wiped lobe? Did you have a boost/vacuum gauge on the car? A bad lobe should show on the vacuum gauge I would think. I have a Ruggles 210/205 that I would recommend against. It for some reason is a very noisy cam..>I dont know if it is the cam itself or the lifters. I have received different opinions on here...the theory on the cam is that is has an aggressive ramp angle making it louder than normal.

You should go with the 206/206 with the matching springs. Make sure you check the headgasket on that side when the intake is off. It might be tryin to push it into the lifter vally on cyl #3.

I checked every other thing possible and then found an article on the forum about 15psi boost knock.

The cam lobe is not all the way wiped. It still has .154 lift.
I think i caught this in time.

Steve

ive never had a bad cam lobe show up on the boost gauge due to a low cam lobe-

you actually cant even tell sometimes till it gets real bad-

napa sells the clevite 204/214 cam it works good, and fairly priced-

if you want a comp cam, go with the 212/212 with 112° lobe sep-

i have installed both of these cams in BONE STOCK cars and you can hardley tell that its got a cam in it.. as in there is NO drivability problems related to the cam-

i firmly believe from my experience that upgrading a camshaft will help reduce detonation around 3-4°... seen it on about 6 turbo cars here in KC

HTH
if you want a stock turbo regal cam, ive got some for sale also, but since your in there, might as well upgrade IMO

BW

A bad cam lobe won't show up on the vacuum portion of the boost gauge? Egad...I had ruled out a bad camshaft in my 15 psi misfire problem as my vacuum holds rock steady...plus the car runs mint other than at the 15psi mark. I assumed a bad cam would affect vacuum....

I measured it with a dial indicator on top of the lifter and I had .335 on number 1 exhaust and .337 on number 5 exhaust and .154 on number 3 exhaust.

Steve

I had a slight upper end miss, but my problem was slight pinging at 15 psi. My vacuum gauge didn't fluctuate either. The lobe was not totally wiped, so I had good performance yet; and it didn't cause any backfiring or vacuum fluctuation because the valve was still operating. I am happy to find out what the problem was after a month of searching, but I am not happy to start tearing it down!

Steve