Ford turbo diesel intercooler in TTA

webleyaz

Damn, that was fast!
I finally got some pictures of this modification. Here is a description of what went into it.
First you have to be willing to hack and cut up your marvelous car. Then you run down to your local Ford dealer and pick up your new intercooler which now comes with plastic tanks glued and pinched on like newer style radiators unlike the older version which had cast aluminum tanks, but should work nicely. Then you take your large box w/I/C to your favorite fabricator and have him weld on new wedge-shaped tanks with in/out pipes coming out the ends of the tanks aimed toward each other slightly (I think 30 degrees was my measurement.) A guy could also aim them up just a little as the I/C is higher in front than back when installed. I did not opt for this but the connecting pipes might be less low (?) if I had. Here's where the hacking begins. All of the plastic air ducts that lead air to the radiator must be omitted. i'm not sure, but you probably could leave them in and just trim for clearance, but the intercooler is considerably bigger than the ductwork opening. The underside of the bumper cover must be trimmed for I/C clearance. I did not do it, but the reinforcement could be trimmed for added air flow through the i/c. It blocks about the first 3 inches of the i/c. Also, the side ground effects pieces which wrap under the car have to be trimmed a little. It's a gigantic intercooler. Once there's a hole big enough it's time to fabricate some mounting brackets. I used two lower rubber radiator holders scavenged from some car wedged into custom brackes bolted to the underside of the bumper reinforcement to support and insulate the I/C in the front at the tank weld seam. These brackets must be fairly heavy duty since theI/C will be just held against them by the rear brackets. I'm sure some other style bracket could be fabbed, but this one was really simple. The rear brackets were completely custom and wrap around the core since there is no room next to the in/out pipes for a weld seam support. The rear brackets bolt to the underside of the radiator core support. The hardest part of the whole thing for me was figuring out how to intice the air to go through the intercooler and radiator instead of just going under the car. My first attempt was a large scoop hinged at the rear of the i/c with springs at the front. Disaster! Worked great on glass-smooth roads at accel or sustained speed, but as soon as I touched the brakes it acted like a front loader and all but ripped off the car. It finally came down to a simple air dam attached with screws to the intercooler itself. There are thin sheets of aluminum at the front and rear of the intercooler that support the first and last rows of cooling fins and are handy air dam mounting locations. Use real short screws or rivets, please. I'm pretty sure it's come to connecting pipes now. I had my buddy at an exhaust shop make mine with mandrel bends, but if I had it to do all over, I'd have had my fabricator make them out of aluminum pipe. It turs out that the hose clamps must be VERY stout since there is nothing to keep the hoses against the turbo/intercooler/throttle body like the factory intercooler brackets hald all that together except the hoses and clamps. It sucks when one blows apart! Next remove the aligator clip from the wastegate actuator, screw the end in about 5 turns, add a few pounds of fuel pressure and go tear up some asphalt!<a href="http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000024693/1000024693_142002112333AM0.5946118.jpg>pic1</a>

http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000024693/1000024693_142002112510AM0.1191828.jpg[/url][/IMG]
1000024693_142002112510AM0.9087597.jpg
1000024693_142002112511AM0.522054.jpg
1000024693_142002112705AM4.455203E-02.jpg
1000024693_142002112705AM0.7718121.jpg
1000024693_142002112706AM0.3198598.jpg

So you have to clikc on 'em. OK, terrific!

I'm experiencing technical difficulties with the pics. I'll get it resolved soon!

That's a little different way of having it oriented. Looks like it would work well though. Any impact on cooling? Documented performance gains? Done any temperature testing?

Just curios..... why doesn´t you guys over there custom build one watercooled IC instead of cutting the car into picies?

I´m gonna have one custom build for mine in a couple of month and the guy want´s $500 for it.

The watercooled IC will even work under the hottest days.

Originally posted by The Swede
Just curios..... why doesn´t you guys over there custom build one watercooled IC instead of cutting the car into picies?

I´m gonna have one custom build for mine in a couple of month and the guy want´s $500 for it.

The watercooled IC will even work under the hottest days.

ATR used to make one (maybe still do) for the buicks. My friends Dad has one and says its awesome at the track but after a block of driving the water is so hot the car sucks.

How are you going to keep the water cold? Go through a radiator? More weight in the car and a pain in the ass.

As far as that IC, I dont like how low it sits. One good bump and you'll hit the IC.

Hi Mike!

The IC is going to be rather big and i´m gonna have a ice cooler in the back with water in and a little electrical pump.... i think....

When i say rather big, i mean that the new IC is gonna be smaller than the stock one.

Thanks for bringing the subject up regarding how low the IC was mounted, just what i was thinking also, but i was a little chicken to talk about it first.......

Originally posted by The Swede
Hi Mike!

When i say rather big, i mean that the new IC is gonna be smaller than the stock one.

Uffe,...you've been spending to much time in the 18+ section on my message board. You're not thinking straight or making sense anymore....heheeeee:D

OK. Since Robert can´t think clear after all HIS visits to the 18+ forum i´m gonna explain more for him, but i know all you other here knew what i meant.

One watercooled IC doesn´t need the same size as one air cooled IC need to handle what it was done for.

When i mean rather big watercooled IC, it´s big for being watercooled and the size of the rather big watercooled IC is smaller than our stock ones.
Follow Robert? :rolleyes:

I, too, was a little concerned about how low it sits but it's actually 2" higher than the factory air dam/I/C scoop. I've scraped the new air dam a few times in some fairly good dips, but I try to leave the 4-wheelin' to my Jeep.
I've conversed w/several people about water intercooling including Sy/Ty owners. Most would rather have air-air because once the water is hot the air is hot and it will be HOT after each 1/4 mi. no matter how icy it started. They love them at the track when they can replace the hot water with icy cold water after each run, though. Plus, unless your reservoir is under the hood, you're going to be drilling big holes somewhere for water lines. If cutting up the car is a concern, buy an aftermarket bumpercover, paint it and hack it up.
As far as overheating...I live in Tucson, AZ where the temp. in the summer is over 100 for weeks. I have a 160 thermostat, water wetter and 20-80 mix with no issues. I do leave the fan running in the 110+ weather, however. This is for fast cars, really. Not a daily driver mod.
I spent $200 at Ford ($300 now), $250 for the tank mods, $100 at the exhaust shop and about $100 on clamps, spraypaint, etc. I may have better or worse connections where I got stuff done so if you're thinking about doing it you might want to get ests. first.
Performance gains cannot be accurately ascertained since I changed the tail gear from 2.73 to 3.27 at the same time. My previous best was 11.6 @ 118 (not the same run), then It went 11.08 @122.9 on 1 run. I guess you could attribute the MPH increase directly to the added cooling effect and the additional boost I was able to safely run, but a full 1.2 tenths were shaved off my 60' by the new gears and that usually knocks off even more at the end of the track even with no MPH increase so you see it's all guess work. I used to limit boost to 26 with the stock I/C with 118 octane and plenty of fuel. Now I limit it to 28 and have almost no knock retard - 1-2 degrees at the 2-3 shift. I'm just not comfortable with more boost and a stock long block, though I've heard of individuals running 30. I also know people who've replaced head gaskets from 30 PSI runs.

Originally posted by TTA89

ATR used to make one (maybe still do) for the buicks. My friends Dad has one and says its awesome at the track but after a block of driving the water is so hot the car sucks.

How are you going to keep the water cold? Go through a radiator? More weight in the car and a pain in the ass.

As far as that IC, I dont like how low it sits. One good bump and you'll hit the IC.

Once again, people are confusing a LIQUID intercooler to a LIQUID/AIR intercooler.

I have 1 of the ATR LIQUID/AIR intercoolers on my TTA, the water DOES NOT get hot after 1 block in fact it cools great, it has its own system which is approx 1 gal total system volume, this has its own heat exchanger mounted up front where a front mount would go so it get alot of air flow across it, you can touch the intercooler after a run it cools tot he touch in just the time to return to the pit area.

ATR say they made less than 5 of these for a TTA, slightly different than the one for a GN.