Ford 9inch

Phil

The 9inch is supposed to need 2-3 percent more HP to turn. Does anyone have any experience with a before and after swap. Your thoughts about this swap?

Things to consider:

How much hp do you plan on making?
How hard do you want to launch?
Can you live with a spool?

Art
GN w/ Ford 9" and a couple other mods.

I have been told by guys in the chassis biz that our 81/2 is every bit as good as a Ford when properly built and no downsides

Why would you have to use a spool? They make posi units for them for the street..

While i think the 8.5 is a very strong piece, there is certainly some room for debate as far as it being as strong as a 9" (when you compare apples to apples) in a pure race application..

:)

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
Why would you have to use a spool? They make posi units for them for the street..

I didn't say he had to, it was just an item to consider, whose answer could help him configure his assembly. He didn't say what his ET application is, so maybe he ought to clarify that. Maybe it doesn't make a difference. If I had it to do it over again, I'd do the same thing I did: 9", Wilwood, spool. It's the one upgrade I never regretted, and have the most confidence in. But I don't care if the car turns on a dime in a parking lot.

Art

Cal Hartline went 8.63@159 with an 8.5 and 33 splines. You could ask him for advice. He is HIPSI on this board.

Ok, I guess I was a bit vague. I suppose I just wanted to get an overall feel for everyone's thoughts without being too specific. Details, the car will be 99% street with only 4-6 trips (typical) to the track a year ( test and tune). It's been my summer street car for 10 years and I don't want to give up driving it on the street. I still get 26mpg on the 500 mile trip to BG every year. Current build up main items, TE-63, TH down pipe, CAS front mount, Vigilantee lock-up, .020 JE's w/girdle and steel centers, 65lb inj, b/b speed pro, clean mostly stock looking engine compartment. Performance, full weight all steel with 26" slicks on steel rims. Last time out, 10.89@127.76 1.73 60ft @ 24psi. Yes I know real bad 60ft, chassis work and 28" soon. Future, I'm putting together a TA/Champion headed on-center, done by summer 03/04. Will need upgrades to match, turbo, inj, rear end. Goal @ high 9 maybe alittle faster if things work out. :) I've never driven a car with a spool or a locker, how bad is it? Now what are your thoughts?

I've had two 9 inch'ers in GN's with stroker engines. Whatever drag there is would be slight. If I built another stroker like your planning, I would go Ford 9 inch. The 8.5 is a great rear and probably would do just fine if set up properly. I've gone that route also. To set it up right is not cheap. It would how ever be cheaper than a 9 inch. Currie 9 inch with good stuff is about $2500. 8.5 with tube braces (Most GN's that have been raced have bent axle tubes, we just don't realize it), Brute posi, Moser axles, c-clip eliminators, T/A cover, bigger wheel cyclinders, gears, labor etc. $1750 plus you furnished the rear to start. 9 inch has bigger brakes and will end up stronger. If you got it spend the extra money. May I also recommend 3.73 gears and a Detroit "SOFT LOCKER," not the regular locker.

Gary

No Ford parts in my Buick!!! Dont get me wrong, those Ford 9's are about bullet proof. I would go with the posi if its street driven. My fathers posi unit went on the '70 Olds, and he resulted to a spool. On the street, and any cornering, that thing grinds and wheel hops. Just a pain in the ass.

But for Ford, other then those 9" rears, bleh.. Even though I wouldnt mind having a fox-body 5.0 liter to beat on at the track. Much cheaper then the GN, to modify.