Ford 9" in a TTA - here's how I did it

sdriche308

Hopefully this will help anyone thinking about putting a Ford 9" in a TTA and keeping the stock brakes. Let me know if there are any questions.

Attachments

• So you want to put a Ford 9.pdf
    730.7 KB · Views: 1,046
In your overall cost I didn't see the cost of the axles, and bearings in there?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The $995 base price of the axle assembly from quick performance includes the housing, axles, bearings, and torque mount.

Currie Enterprises does a 9" that bolts in like the stock rearend right down to the brakes and the driveshaft.

Unless Currie offers something other than whats on their website, I didn't see it. The cost of what I built (I suspect) will be $600++ lower than a Currie. Here's what I see for Currie which indicates an explorer or Wilwood brake setup. If they make a direct bolt in add the link to this thread so everyone can see that as an option. The more choices the better!!!!

What I built was closest to the Stage 1 as described below. To get close to the Stage 4 below would have cost only a little more. You can order the quickperformmance (Moser) axles in 35 spline, have a back brace installed for $169 ,the 3rd member from TJ would have cost about $150 more for the nodular iron case but he would have credited $100 by selecting the detroit locker instead of a Yukon posi unit. There's no right or wrong answer here, just options. If you have more options, post them up for all to see.....this is good information sharing. When I tried researching rear options, I couldn't get good info (or options) from anywhere so I'm trying to help others at this point.

The Currie Stage I F-Body '82-2003 Camaro/Firebird rearend for non-ABS cars includes the heavy duty 9" Ford housing will all of the stock Camaro suspension brackets mounted including the heavy duty torque arm mount, 31 spline performance axle package (CE-0012), 11" drum brake kit (CE-6005A), 3rd. member with nodular Sportsman gear case and pinion support, and yoke, T.S.D. limited slip differential, and gear ratio of your choice. Unit is fully assembled at the Currie facility and is ready to install when you receive it.

The Currie Stage III F-Body '82-2003 Camaro/Firebird

rearend assembly for non-ABS cars is a custom built unit that includes the heavy duty 9" Ford housing with all of the stock Camaro suspension brackets mounted including the heavy duty torque arm mount (CE-7008), 31 spline Performance axle package, (CE-0012), Explorer disc brake kit with internal drum parking brake (CE-6012), 3rd member with 9-Plus nodular iron Sportsman gear case, 9-Plus big bearing nodular pinion support, Tru-Trac differential, gear ratio of your choice, and yoke. Unit comes fully assembled and ready to bolt in.
The Stave IV F-Body '82-2003 Camaro/Firebird rearend assembly for non-ABS cars is designed for ultimate performance in high horsepower applications. Includes the heavy duty 9" Ford housing with all of the stock Camaro suspension brackets mounted including the heavy duty torque arm mount (CE-7008), 35 spline performance axle package (CE-0012), Wilwood Pro-Street disc brake kit with internal drum parking break (CE-6014PB), 3rd. member with the Currie/Strange nodular iron 3-1/4" bearing gear case, Currie forged alloy big pinion support, Detroit locker differential, gear ratio of your choice, and the 9-Plus 1330 yoke. Unit is completely assembled by Currie and is ready to install.

I bought my rear end after it was taken out of anothet members car. It had a Ford Trac Loc diff in it which is pretty weak. I upgraded to a Moser Wave Trac diff, and I'm running Ford gears. I have the Explorer brakes which I like, because if you need it you can get extra holding power with the e-brake as it has drums inside the rotors. I've never actually needed the extra braking though.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well we got 3 of them in the early/mid 90's. Like I said BOLT in NO problems. I didn't want to make it fit.. My time was to valuable :p Maybe CALL them an talk to a tech ?? I know I know nobody uses a phone any more :D