for those guys that run a BOV.

workingdan

I have a question about my BOV but am not looking to get into the whole debate about to use one or not. I have one on my GN and at idle it surges open and closed and I am wondering if I have the wrong spring in it? The unmetered air cant be good for the idle. Should it be closed at idle? Thanks for any input on this.

I'm going to assume thats normal, reason i say this is because i went through 2 BOV's thinking that the spring was the problem, first i had the tial Q BOV and i seen it would open at idle and close, i went through every spring they had and i think it was the silver spring that worked best, but it still opened at idle but then it would close, i dont know why this happened, also when I gave it some gas i would see that it will open slighty, which i didnt like so i bought an HKS bov that didnt need a spring, it basically was plug n play,(no spring size involved) and that also did the same thing...then i went to some wrx forums to see wat they are saying on the issue, and most people say all BOV MAKE there cars run pig rich, and there basically getting rid of them, so with ur story and the wrx forums i been in, i came to the conclusion that this problem is not a problem but is actually normal for BOV's to do that, so i got rid of mines and noticed slight better diffrence performance wise! Hope this helps

87 grand national
60 psi mototron injectors
V 5.7 tt chip
Accufab fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

On a maf style system this is why blow off valves need to be recirculated back to intake behind the mass air flow sensor or it skews all readings and would cause blm fluctuation among other problems....but to answer your question most bov remain at least partially open at idle and on decel it will be slammed open due to higher vacuum pulling on the diaphram....do some reading on a dsm website and you will hear all about keeping "recirculating valves" correctly routed back into the intake stream pre turbo post maf

I've vented my BOV to the atmosphere with caspers , TT and ext chips..... stock, lt, ls and card type mafs and 5 different turbos and 3 different IC never had as issue.

I did order the strong spring. For mine as it was opening to easy with high vac

Last edited:
Ya I was thinking that I would get a stiffer spring and see how that works.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

is the valve dual-port or single, how is it plumbed.

but, I have an RFL (a real one, not a clone) it works fine and does not open at idle or part throttle. It has a pretty stiff spring.

You either need to plumb it back to the MAF pipe (there are right and wrong ways to do this), or put in a stiffer spring.

Bob

Tial Q single port. Plumbed to atmosphere. Im going to get a stiffer spring

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If it's only opening very little at idle you can always add a wash or two underneath the spring

Should not open at idle or even under slightly elevated vacuum. If you blip the throttle and let the car pull down some extra vacuum, it should not open or just barely open. Especially important on atmospheric discharge with a MAF set up to draw through.

It is really awesome when it gets stuck open, let me tell you.

I use a Greddy Type R, real deal, with the highly adjustable spring pressure.

Running a Tial, that stays shut at idle, blip the throttle and open slightly on decelleration.

Chuck