For Sale: PTA-51 Turbo

James West

Precision Turbo and Engine PTA-51 turbo. Bought it new from PTE about 5 years ago. It has approximately 2500 miles on it. It is in excellent condition. This turbo has never made a quarter mile pass, only street use. Oil changed every season with Mobil-1 10w-30 synthetic. Does not include inlet bell or wastegate actuator. Have digital pictures of the turbo when it was new that I can send you, just supply me with your email address. Asking $475 plus shipping.

Thanks,

James West
Omaha, NE.

I aminterested in the turbo, but if the turbo is 5 years old $475 seems a little much.

What is max hp on this turbo, and what kind of stall is recommended?

Per the chart on the PTE website, it should make 585 hp and requires a torque converter with a 2800 rpm stall speed. I have a reprogrammed GM D5 torque converter in my GN that this turbo is on and it works great.

Go to the PT&E web site at www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3022. you will see the specs on this turbo along with all the other sizes thay offer.

Originally posted by GNguy
What is max hp on this turbo, and what kind of stall is recommended?

I'm pretty sure I know the answers, but I'll ask anyway...

1. Will the inlet bell and wastegate actuator from my TA-49 fit this turbo? I assume "yes", since the compressor is the same, and it's a "TA" series turbo.
2. Will my 3" THDP have any problems fitting up to this turbo?
3. Will the stock heat shield and mounting bracket fit over this turbo?

If you could email me a pic, that would be nice. My email button below will give the address.

Thanks,

Mike,

I'll get some picture sent to you in the next day or so.

Thanks,

James West

Originally posted by mgmshar

1. Will the inlet bell and wastegate actuator from my TA-49 fit this turbo? I assume "yes", since the compressor is the same, and it's a "TA" series turbo.

If you could email me a pic, that would be nice. My email button below will give the address.

Thanks,

Mike,

To answer you three questions below;

Yes, the inlet bell and wastegate actuator will fit on this turbo. I moved up from a TA-49 to this turbo and the inlet bell and actuator I am currently using came form my TA-49. I am using a TH 3" downpipe. You will need to be sure that the wastegate puck is centered over the wastegate hole. I am using the stock heat shield over the PTA-51 turbo at this time without any problems.

A couple of questions for you; Is you TA-49 in good working condition? Does it have a Garrett or Precision turbine exhaust housing?

Thanks,

James West

Originally posted by mgmshar

Thanks,

Thanks for your answers!

My TA-49 is in good working order. It went 11.50@117mph last season with a stock engine and 100-octane gas. It has a Precision 0.63 housing on it.

My goal in switching to the TA-51 is to get a little more top-end out of the car, without completely destroying the spool-up. I have a 2800 stall converter, so the 49 spools lightning-fast. What were your results when you switched from the TA-49 to the TA-51?

Thanks Again,