??? for people trapping 130+ in street cars. (Fuel related)

LUZ_2_A6

Old School
What kind of fuel systems are you running, pump, injectors, lines, stuff like that. Also, please tell me your trap speed, thanks. I have a daily driven car and i am wondering if i need to upgrade the fuel system. Thanks

you should have this moved to the stage2 section. not many guys here have cars that trap 130+ and drive on the street. i'd imagine some thick fuel lines and a big ol weldon pump.

130 PLUS

I used Red's double pumps (old xp's) and the stock fuel lines , Inj's were 55lbs .
I went 131.00 with full weight car @21lbs boost and no lock up T/C. I have switched to 83lb inj and had the trans redone so the T/C may lock up now .
Looking for Low Low 10's @135mph

First of all I say leave it here, I think people need to see this . If it were me when you start going that fast it is a matter of volume as well as pres. I would use a sumped tank or cell with -10 into a big 1000 hp pump, one stable over 65psi , some over heat at 65 real bad, or can't flow the amount adv over that. Then -10 into a y-block at the rails, equal -8's into the rails and out into a 4 port reg then -8 back to the tank. Some may think a system like this is overkill but what's wrong with that. If you are going to run those king os trap speeds you need 700+ HP , that takes fuel and a bunch of it . Lot's of people have run those speeds with a lot less. My thinking is that why run on the edge or even near it. I like lots room to work with when it comes to fuel. To much can always be backed down, not enough can't be streched.

with your present setup you will run out of injector before you run out of pump.....as several have said, 130 takes a big fuel system and injectors.......a double pumper and 72's would be marginal

I'd use a staged double pumper setup if it was a street driven car. I'm using a Weldon pump on my car, but I really don't drive it on the street. I have made a pass accidentally with the pump on street mode and didn't have any positive O2 correction on the whole run.

I drove around all the time with 2 big aeromotive pumps, no problem at all. 40 -50 miles a trip. Stab it at will , good egt's big power

Dual XP's, volt booster, stock fuel lines,83# injectors. I ran 134-135 mph with 3.73 gears and 28 inch tires with no TC lockup, if my lockup worked I would have gone 138-140 and if I had 3.42's maybe even faster.

Dave Levey

On the double pumpers, they will get the job done, but I don't think by much, just my opinion. If you are going to spend all the money on parts , all the time on tuning, why push it on fuel? I again say you can remove fuel but if it isn't there you can't ad it. I have seen 1 high 10 sec car hurt by a double pumper, and hurd of others There many v8 cars running that exact system I posted before into the low 8's after that even more is needed on THEM. All I can say is don't push your luck it costs to much $$$$$$$$

fuel system

A set of Red's double pumpers are more than adequate and the best way to go in my opinion (and in my car). You will also need a set of 72's or bigger for injectors. Yes my car is in the 130s and is a street car.

Clean86 no flame intended but we had Terry's car in the mid 9's with Red's double pumper and stock fuel lines. I would find it difficult to believe that Red's pumps were the sole reason for loss of the motor. Obviously if one of the pumps fuse blows or pump fails it can happen. I certainly don't mean to say it didn't happen but I can show you dozens of cars in the mid to low 10's around here using them with no problems. I got some contaminated fuel that killed my pump years ago and I pushed all six holes out so I know there are a lot of factors. A side note you need to pay close attention to detail on all the fittings etc. in the fuel line but it can be done well into the 9's.

Just my thoughts Dave

No Flame taken, I know it has been posted that it is done all the time . And I am the last one to tell anyone that it can't. My point is that I wouldn't. How many GPH does reds pump at 65 or 70 psi? And stock lines? Bone stock fuel lines? Nothing done to them, no splicing, no mods no nothing? No flame to you but how can you supply enough fuel to make 700HP through those little lines. And if they are not modded why can no other car street or race or both make that kind of power using the same size lines. Turbo or not you need volume to keep the beast happy. Little STOCK lines can't flow that kind of volume. I just had a discussion with my buddy about his 496 he is trying to blow through with a 88mm turbo. He says the Guy's at the carb shop are making 1100HP on a dyno. I said thats a dyno not a street, and if it worked why isn't everyone doing it? All I am saying is reds pumps may supply enough to get the job done , but not by much. Just my 2 cents as well. Glad to see people can have opinions on this post without getting FLAMED. THX

volume, presure , volume ,presure.

Carb. cars run what 5-8psi ? need much larger line to flow the same volume at that low presure .
Our cars run 50-60-70psi . that's how we get away with smaller lines .
I guess the line size must be no larger that the openings on all six Inj's,AND the fuel presure must not fall during WOT.

Three cars in the 130mph range all w/RED's double pumps and stock untouched fuel lines :
1) 131 MPH 55lb inj's 3600lb street car

2) 134 MPH 72 lb inj's 3938lb street car (good HP )

3) 129.9 MPH 55lb inj 3600 lb street car

4)?????MPH 83lb inj's 3600 lb street car 30 psi boost ?

I ran 136 mph with atr's double pumper, 83 lb injectors, stock fuel lines. The injector duty cycle was in the 80 % range, fuel pressure 43 with vac line off.

No need for sumping the tank, a good pump and the stock lines will do just fine. The rwhp was 615 with a bunch of stock parts and a 76 turbo.

3650 street car
33 pounds of boost

Guy's,

I've read all of the above opinions and I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I personally run a RA double pumper and have had a best trap speed of 136 MPH. My car weighs 3700 lbs with driver so I can state for the record that a double pumper will easily support 750 H.P. through the stock fuel lines.

It's safe to say that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and I know guy's running Aeromotive and Weldon pumps. I can't stand the noise personally and the large aftermarket pumps tend to overheat and fail prematurely on long trips. I drove my car 350+ miles to Vegas last year so driving to the store isn't my idea of a long journey.

The best way to judge if you have an adequate fuel supply from the tank to the fuel rail is to have a hood mounted fuel guage. If your fuel pressure stays up (static pressure + 1 lb for each lb boost) then you have enough fuel pump and any more capacity is unneccessary. It's always better to err on the high side but a good in tank double pumper goes a long way.

Neal

Do you guys think i will be ok with the 55's and a hotwired 430 with my 66-1 turbo. It will most likely never see over 25lbs. Or should i go ahead and get 72's and a Red Armstrong dual kit? Thnaks again for the help.

that is what I run, although I haven't been over 24 lbs boost...wants to run out of gas at 125 mph (3700 lb car in bad air & altitude...results may vary)

(Please note, Neal is running a Stage motor and Fel Pro....much nicer for tuning your fuel....)

LUZ_2A_6,

If I was in your shoes I'd opt for the 72 # injectors. You'll have more safety margin where as with the 55's you'll be pushing it once you get into the 10's. Also if you decide to upgrade later (everyone does) you won't be needing to change injectors too.

BTW, Just for Woody I'm running a stock ECM not a Felpro. I'm a chip guy remember? Gosh, I think you must be slipping I've caught you on 2 things in 2 weeks. :p

Neal